Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

If your little one is talking, or at the age they should be talking, do you still use baby speak? 

Not so much in this group (I am new here lol), but I have had many friends over the years that have had kids, and newer friends with lil ones, and it always boggled my mind that they would use and continue to use baby speak even as their child goes into kindergarten. 

Baby speak is fine, and even helpful during the first year or so of life. However, once a child reaches the age of speach (normally between 12mos and 15 mos) it is recommended that baby speak is cut out. Using proper words not only helps the child identify an object, person, place etc with the proper name, but it actually helps their speech along.

This does not mean that suddenly their vocabulary will increase in greater amounts, but it will help them speak clearly, and helps in their education.

Obviously this is a generalization as there are many things to take into account. Was your child born prematurely? Are there other issues going on in their lives or other diagnosis that play a part in their development? Those are just a few questions that will help a parent decide if baby speak is still needed or not. And obviously (again) no one knows another's child better than the child's parents. :) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I never use baby talk to my girls.  I talk to them like little people, because that's what they are.  Just because they can't talk back doesn't mean they can't understand you.

Mdmooch
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We don't baby speak.  I think it is ridiculous when people do.  I am embarassed for them.  I talk in a soft voice and am sweet to my kids, but I would never baby speak and I can't stand when people baby speak to them.

weaveress
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

we didn't really use baby talk with our kids. we said the regular words, but somethings they learned to say babyish that were cute all of the adults and kids still use. it's like a family joke. for example nu nu's are noodles, cracker belly is cracker barrel, it stuck means your constipated. 

my kids are 11,9, and almost 3. and we have adopted new terms with each kid. 

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I have never spoken " baby speak" to my boys except when they were/are potty training.

I've always spoken to them as little adults. This improved my older son's vocabulary to the point that by third grade, his teacher's were having to make his vocabulary tests harder or he'd just not do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No.  When they were babies I would coo at them, etc. during play time but I otherwise spoke to them as if they were old enough to understand me :)  I would take DS grocery shopping when he was like 3 months old and I would talk to him the whole time explaining what we were doing, where we were going next, etc.  I've always gotten comments on how clearly he speaks and for his vocabulary! 

My BFF's DD would say "uppies" for "pick me up" when she was like 4.  Even when she was a baby I cringed but at 4 I was near nauseous :)  My kids will randomly ask for "milky" and I do a double take because we've NEVER used that word in this house.  I make them ask again, it bugs me so bad.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We really didn't do baby talk, but I did fall into the habit of speaking in third person to teach DD to say "Mama." She's now 28 months, has an exceptional vocabulary, speaks pretty clearly, but refers to herself in the third person more than half the time :(

corkysunshine
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
No we never do I dont see a reason for it. We speak two languages to her and she responds well which is exciting. I personally think baby talk just stunts their development. That's my opinion please don't take offense
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

No, no baby speak here. Enthusiastic and animated voices, yes. Ours is a bilingual household already, no point in adding a third layer of confusion.

ejsmom4604
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I catch myself doing that with even my older kids. My 8yr old looks at me like I'm from outer space when I talk in the third person. >.< Bad habit I MUST break lol. 

Quoting mrsniebo:

We really didn't do baby talk, but I did fall into the habit of speaking in third person to teach DD to say "Mama." She's now 28 months, has an exceptional vocabulary, speaks pretty clearly, but refers to herself in the third person more than half the time :(

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

we don't really ever start using it. Maybe 1 word every now and then slips in but not normally!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)