Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Getting concerned!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

So my DD is 4 years old and still not even remotely potty trained. I've tried every trick in the book, talked to her pedia, talked to my therapist and every mother on earth. I don't know what to do. She won't tell me why she won't potty although after a long Q and A she shook her head "yes" when I asked her if she was scared of the potty. I don't know if it's because we scolded her awhile back when she wouldn't go potty or if it's because my mother told her "the potty wants to eat her poo poo and pee pee," and now she is afraid the toilet might eat her or something. When I asked why she is afraid of he potty she won't tell me.

I've tried the little potties, the potty seat add on, begging, star charts, rewards, bribery, making her wear panties (she just pees in them and doesn't care.), potty dances, the works. She won't even sit on the toilet and if I try to put her on it she stiffens up and cries. I'm at the end of my rope ladies. Please, please, please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really am out of ideas and I don't know what I'm gonna do when it is time for her to go to school. TYIA ladies!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shadow_lark
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Back off for a few months and then try again. Once she matures a little and forgets what she was afraid if she may be mire receptive to learning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree...what was your bribery though?

I bought a hamster and she could only play with it after 24 hours accident free...3 days later and we never looked back, but man did she want to fight me and not potty but still get to play with that hamster...

by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

She wont be in high school wering a diaper. She will get there :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this

my take is this:  she's getting A TON of attention over this.  why would she do anything different?  sit her down, tell her she's a big girl who will wear big girl underwear from now on.  if she has an accident, she cleans it up as well as herself.  she's big enough to be in charge of using the potty and you are going to let her do it.  then IGNORE it.  no more begging, no more bribing, no nothing.  if she has an accident just tell her "clean it up" and go about your business.  no more pullups, period (well, for sleeping is okay). 

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM

OP: on a similar note.  I hung the carrot of my son's 3rd birhtday party as a "present" for being potty trained with a month of accident free days!!!!  It was a long shot, but it worked :).  He got to help me plan the party.  But he knoew if he messed up, I was calling all the invitees (family) that the party was off.  They knew the plan so they knew there was a possibiltiy of it being cancelled, but he came through :)

Quoting emkirkley:

I agree...what was your bribery though?

I bought a hamster and she could only play with it after 24 hours accident free...3 days later and we never looked back, but man did she want to fight me and not potty but still get to play with that hamster...

villagemamma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

This is always my biggest argument when parents start worrying about their children not learning to walk or potty train or other basic human activities lol.

Quoting 98765:

She wont be in high school wering a diaper. She will get there :)

Sigmalade
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I was feeling the same way. We had to use Miralax with my son. It takes lots of patience. I announced to the babysitter that he would be going to school in a diaper, because there was nothing I could do. After just crying about it, it took a week of patience and a lot of underwear but he got it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)