Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

He'd Rather Sleep on the Floor

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

In early November, we realized DS (26 months) was climbing over the rail of his crib, playing, and getting back into bed. We promptly converted his crib to the toddler setting, but he REFUSED to sleep in it. He'd just started potty training on Thursday, his dog died suddenly on Friday, and Saturday we converted the bed. Just too much change at once, so we gave him the crib rail and just prayed he didn't hurt himself.

Santa brought him 2 toddler bed sets. We talked up how Santa must think he's a big boy who's ready for a big boy bed since he brought big boy covers. He agreed to the conversion again and slept well in his bed for a week and a half. Now, he doesn't want to fall asleep in it. He'd much rather sleep on the floor or dog bed. I've found him in his floor, sleeping in the hall, and next to my bed. Sometimes, he just climbs in bed with us. It's the same mattress. We flipped it to the firm side when he was 8 or 9 months old. And, it's his crib with a toddler conversion rail.

We've tried laying in his room with him until he falls asleep and that just results in him playing or talking, then getting up in the middle of the night. I've laid the mattress on the floor in his room and it becomes a gymnastics mat. I've put it in our room and he sleeps on, but rolls into the wall and bumps his head, which causes him to wake up crying. If I pull it away from the wall, he back on the floor.. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get him to sleep in the bed?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Vbump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally we just let them be. We kept the boys door shut until we went to bed, that way he was in his room, but when we transitioned he slept on the floor for about a month. He went through that stage again around 3.5-4 sleeping on floor by my door, behing couch on floor..... Eventually they get over it and return to their beds. Just not something were willing to battle over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thanks! I think that's where we are. As long as he goes to sleep, I'm happy. I don't like the chasing and power struggling over it.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Personally we just let them be. We kept the boys door shut until we went to bed, that way he was in his room, but when we transitioned he slept on the floor for about a month. He went through that stage again around 3.5-4 sleeping on floor by my door, behing couch on floor..... Eventually they get over it and return to their beds. Just not something were willing to battle over.

momofourmonkeys
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls still do this.  They are 8 & 7.  My father in law bought them a tent and now it's pretty much every night.  I try convincing them to sleep in a bed, but they're kids.  It's innocent at least so I just let them do it.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

my son went thru a LONG phase of sleeping on the floor.  my daughter currently naps in her bean bag but sleeps in her bed at night.  as long as they are in their room they can sleep in their closet if they want :)

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, let him sleep on the floor.  My son wanted to wear his clothes to bed tonight and my first reaction was no, you need to put on your PJ's.  Then I thought about it and it wasn't something I care that much about so, go ahead, sleep in your clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)