Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Mean lil boys?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 4yr old and 3 year old boys are so mean. They fight, scream at each other kick each other constantly. My 3 yr old daughter and 9yr old dd are completly the opposite. I don't know if this is natural or if i need to up the discipline?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don't know if it is just a boy thing. My dd (3) picks on her little brother (14m) and sometimes even her older brother (my ss 8) when he visits.  I think it is somewhat gender but also personality specific. My ss doesn't usually fight back and will get upset but sometimes he will. My son will now go up to her and start things unprovoked but it is still my daughter who usually does this. Do the boys share a room? At least they don't try to pick on their sisters.

elkmomma
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Both.

babowes
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Pobably both
tennisgal
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree with pp. it's probably both. i have four boys but i came from four sisters. we were no where near as rough as my boys are. they def get disciplined, but at the same time i want them to play like little boys. when they purposely hurt a brother that's cause for discipline...but when they are wrestling around then it's all in good fun. i have several friends with all-boy families and they are louder and rougher than all-girl families.

i feel like you have to make sure you instill a sense of respect for others (especially their brothers) and at the same time, let them be rough and tumble little boys. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It's mix of both

ardiaxe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I am super strict when it comes to hitting, it's absolutely not tolerated in my house.  My 4 year old boy will try to hit his sister at times, if he dare do it, he knows he gets a major time out and his beloved toys taken away.  

I am strict because I was hit often by my brother and my mother never did a thing about it, it was horrible and just got worse with time.

Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have 3 brothers. They were ALWAYS fighting. My 1st brother and second brother, are opposites. 1st brother is very geeky, totally into computers, but hes a total asshole (still love him, but its true), and my 2nd brother, is chill for the most part until you piss him off, and he was a football player and wrestler in high school, and my 1st and 2nd brothers used to all out fist fight because my 1st brother would call my 2nd brother fat or something, and 2nd brother would kick 1st brothers ass.

My 3rd brother and I, total opposites. Me and my 2nd brother are most alike, and get along well, and 3rd brother...kind of an idiot, and growing up I would alway be a smart ass and say something stupid, but he was a dick too, so it wasn't like I was unprovoked or anything. He and I would punch the shit out of each other, and a couple of times one of us would end up in a head lock. We were rough.

Its normal for some siblings I guess. My dad used to make us sit on the couch and hold hands...which my brother would squeeze my hand so hard, and I'd bite him, and it kinda worked as a punishment, but...we would still try to hurt each other.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Boys are naturally more rambunctious for sure.  However, my 6 year old son and 3 1/2 year old daughter go at it pretty good.  

Your sons are pretty close in age so I would guess they are interested in many of the same things and probably feel some competition.  Some of the stuff is typical sibling stuff and other stuff definitely needs to be addressed so no one gets hurt.  Just calmly separate them and work on having them speak to each other calmly and with manners. 

ShellLee68
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
OMG! I have 3 and 4 year old boys and I can't walk out of the room for 2 seconds without one hitting the other one, kicking, pushing, jumping on top of, throwing toys at, you name it. The only thing that makes them stop is my husbands voice.

it's really annoying b/c I never thought I would be that "just wait until your father gets home" mom, but that's exactly what I turned into.

they are completely crazy.
GremlinMom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Both. Just because boys fight more doesn't mean they don't need discipline. You don't want them to grow up thinking that behavior is acceptable. Punching your brother after getting called a twit is a boy thing but mom still needs to discipline for name calling and hitting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)