Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Are you a picky thrifty shopper??

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am, I will not pay full price for my DS (almost 4), they even.  Usually it needs to be and additional  50% off on the clearance rac, or at least 30% off.  I usually shop The Gap, Gymboree, Macy's, or the outlets such at The Gap, OshKosh and Carters.  I will pick a few things at Costco but that is the only place I will shop at regular price.  I did just get a pair of Levi's at Sears for $8, I try to shop for next winter now, but my DS just grew a whole inch in just weeks so he is now wearing what I planned for next winter.

His Down winter coat I got at The Gap outlet, it was on sale at 50% of reg price of $49.99 for that brought it down to basicly $25, but I had a coupon for another 40% off so his coat was $15.

This weekend Gap had 40% off sale, I got 2 hats, 1 pair gloves, 3 pair of socks and a very nice sweater for $16!  

I do get annoyed when others, such as daycare teacher, other parents, think I spend a lot of $ on my kids clothes, when really I don't.

Yes I am cheap when it comes to spending my $$ on my DS clothes, I just look for the great deals.  Is there any deals out there that I don't know about that you dont mind sharing with me???  BTW my DS just out grew almost all his clothes and I need to get some new shirts and jeans.

OH I forgot to mention my DS has to match 100%, right down to the socks and underwear, oldfashion is what some people call me.  My DS is pretty thin and for some reason Gap jeans fit him best because they make Slims still, I can find Levi's in Slim but they are hard to find.  Even with the elastic adjustments they still seem to fit to big in the butt LOL, 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
babowes
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Totally. I use coupons and use sale racks. I also buy from consignment stores.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AJnEsMama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to do the same but I mostly have to online shop since all of those stores are 1.5 hours away. I do love going to carter's and oshkosh when I can. Right now carter's is doing extra 20% off clearance. I bought a ton when they had the 50% and I had a 20% off coupon. I found I save way more when I save money for the big sales. And that those two brands are actually cheaper at the actual store than at target, walmart, khols, jcp etc. I love getting bargains. I have heard that when something is on sale it makes you more likely to buy it even if you don't need it. But I just try to think if it is actually usefull or not. I know what you mean about people thinking you spend a lot. I do spend more on my kids clothes then my own or my dh's. They outgrow them faster, they are so cute and I feel like we decided to have them so if someone has to go without first it will be the adults. when does gymboree have their big sale? Carter's is memorial and around black friday I think.

audreesmama
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I shop consignment. I don't care about brands, and a Gap coat wouldn't matter to me. The only thing I care about is how well the clothes stay together lol. That being said, my dd has some super cute clothes that were pre-loved. 

Have you ladies ever shopped at thredup? PM me and I will send you a link. It's like a consignment store online, but for only name brand clothing. I buy NWT clothes there. I got DD a pair of Children's Place jeans NWT for 3.99.

alf2651
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I shop at consignment stores and places like Wal-Mart and Target but I don't really care about name brand things. I also shop on thredup. It has a lot of good deals!

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I rarely shop consignment but I want to start.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm SUPER thrifty.  I just bought my DD some t-shirts for summer at the Children's Place Outlet for $1.99 each.   I just bought my son a nice pair of Saucony running shoes for $9 (originally $40) at the Stride Rite Outlet.  I got my DD next year's winter coat (at 3 in 1) at the OskKosh Outlet for $9 (originally $45).  I don't buy them anything for more than $10-$12 unless it's an emergency.  My son outgrew his shoes at the beginning of the year and I had to buy him a $20 pair of shoes for school but those were on sale too!!   I used to shop consignment before I couponed but then I realized that I could get brand new stuff for the same price or cheaper by shopping off season!  Last year I bought about 10 pairs of winter pjs for the kids at the Carter's Outlet and spent $3.99/pair plus an additional 20% off.  Quality pjs, brand new and they can usually wear them for 2 winters!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)