Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Misbehavin!!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I am having some issues with my 4 year old step son.  It seems as though his terrible two have gone on to the 3's and into the 4's, and grown with severity.  There is not a single thing that I have found/tried that works.  I tried the nice gentle approach, to which his reaction is to laugh and trample all over me.  I've tried the stern voice thing, yeah, again nothing.  I've done the spanking (let the judgement begin), but nothing seems to work on this kiddo.  Does any one have any suggestions on how to deal with a completley defiant, very aggressive 4 year old boy?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Gweneveer
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I would try 123 Magic.  It worked for my out of control 3.5 yr old.  

4crazyKids4567
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I dont know if that when you count, but if you do that to him, he counts with you, and keep counting.  He's had all of his toys taken away with the exception of one stuffed animal to sleep with, and NOPE!!  Little turd wont budge.  I have a fairly good idea as to why he is acting out.  He's my step son, so he was used to being one of only two, and the baby at that.  Now he's one of 4 kids, and I think he feels like he doesnt get enough attention.  We tried the therapist thing, but that didnt work out much at all.  I'm just at a loss, lol.  I'm sure he'll come through eventually, but I may be bald by then.

.frustrated

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

1-2-3 Magic is a book :)  Love and Logic is also highly recommended.

blancavazquez
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

my 2 year old just hit the terrible twos and oh lord am I going crazy, I talked to a doctor about it and she gave me a handout to read, I'm about to start this, it says to not give in to tantrums, if he's acting out as long as he's in no danger walk into the other room and ignore it, i'm also going to start with time outs, I don't know how this is going to work but i'm thinking about trying this pinterest.com/pin/420101471460579250/ you should try it maybe it could work, also I don't know if you treat him the same way as the others, I've notice my son acts out because daddy treats his sister differently (daddy's girl pretty much). I hope you get control of the situation soon :)

villagemamma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Best thing to ever happen to my house! i absolutly agree that this is a really good place to start.

My DD is 4 and last year was having some extreme behavior issues. My friend suggested this and it definitely helped!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

1-2-3 Magic is a book :)  Love and Logic is also highly recommended.

4crazyKids4567
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thanks so much for the advice.  I've never heard of that book, I will have to take a look!

Sigmalade
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

The three's had me in tears, then I had an award system. We have stars 1 given for every good behavior, 1 taken away for every bad. It was posted in his room. At the end of the week we got to go buy a new train. Praise him when he does good, even if it is really an expected common behavior and take one away without a lot of conversation when he does wrong.  I put in place long enough for him to see his consequences and I noticed a difference in a few weeks. It may also help with the other kids. I have not read the other books others have listed, but I will look for them in my library next week. They sound like great reads! 

RutterMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Terrible 2's are a cop out.
He needs firm discipline. And unfortuniately, you aren't the best person to give it to him.

4crazyKids4567
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

What do you mean by, I am not the right person?  Not asking out of anger, just attempting to keep from misunderstanding, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)