Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
My 20 month old refuses to give up his paci. I got rid of his bottle at 1 year and switch his to soppy cups he had no problem with that. It's that dang pacifier. I only let him have it when he's Laying down. I need tips on how to slowly make him forget about it. He has the best memory so it's had to act like he doesn't have one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
khoisten
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I took the paci from my 20 month girl by cutting a small hole in it. She only took it at night. It took 3 days and the crying stop. 7 days later no problems going to bed. She just wakes up some nights for about 15 mimutes.
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I made my son him quit cold turkey. I threw all of them out so there were none to be found. It took 3 days for him to get over it, but now he's fine!  If you don't want to take it away cold turkey, then maybe just give it to him at nap time and slowly wean him from that. (Although, honestly, I think this is just prolonging the inevitable and he's still gonna be upset when it's gone.)

caitlynevansmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Both of mine quit napping when the binky was taken away. They still needed naps too. It was a nightmare both times. My son has a sleeping disorder that he sees a neurologist for and this made the situation worse. Going cold turkey like the others said is the only way to go. Just know it will be very painful if your child relies on the binky to help him sleep. Painful for you mostly. Just hope he doesn't decide to use his thumb. 

fallenstars
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Cold turkey and just don't give in. Give him something else cool to sleep with. Dd slept with daddys hat now nothing at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindsaysmommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Took my daughter off the paci cold turkey.

Pinkjet5041
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My DD is 21 months old and she is still going hard at the bink lol I'm not sure when we'll take it off of her, with my DS we took it off him at 15 months due to him biting holes in them again and again. Got too expensive buying like three a week, that we had to put an end to it. 

cryssi_renee
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM

We went cold turkey with my DS and he only asked for it once after. I don't think my 21 month old is going to be that easy. 

DandJsGrandma
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
With my Grandson, when he turned 3 my daughter had him gather up all of his pacis and anticipate the Paci Fairy Taking them and bringing him something special! It was fun for him and went off without a hitch.
Nikkijessie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I tried the hole in the paci which my son was pisses. Last night was hell he was screaming all night till finally we layed him with us and rubbed his chest till he fell asleep I'm gunna try again tonight and hopefully take it away completely
ShellLee68
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Google bye bye binky.com I used this with both of my ds's @ 2 1/2 and had zero drama. I stretched it out over a couple months and they were some serious binky addicts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)