Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Want to know the pro and cons of having a single child

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi

I think of conceiving for the second time buy my husband thinks it other wise and says he's happy with one.

I have a son of 5.

Just want to know the negative part of having just a single child and the social effect he'd suffer from, if it does have one???

Seeking advice

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (11-15):
AmyMama3
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I had my second son when my first was almost 9 years old. I'm not sorry we waited because we never had to deal with fighting kids and got to focus on just him for many years. on the other hand, my older son has been spoiled by getting all the attention until now and it is sometimes hard for him to share things with others. That bing said, he was so happy to have a little brother and cried when we told him the news. Every child is different! I have two siblings and we didn't get along, but many are very close! It's all about your parenting style I think. What is your five year old like? 😊
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I have a 5yo only child son, too... And this is something I struggle with all the time.

I do appreciate being able to afford experiences for him that would be out of reach (or at least much more difficult) with multiple kids: airplane tickets, skiing, sports, etc. And he gets a great deal of attention from us as far as school work, projects, and so on.

But I have a brother, so I haven't lived the only child experience... And there are some really great things about growing up with a sibling, too. :-\
JDsmomma07
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I have a 5 yr old and he always says he wants another kid in the house to play with.   I have an older sister, 4  years older but she was very mature, bossy, high maintenance so we never were that close.  Even growing up, I always felt like an only child and felt some of that lonliness.  I always make sure that my son has the opportunity to play with other kids his age.  I think being an only child, he cherishes that fun/play time more. 

babowes
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I always heard you never regret the child you have.....but often the ones you don't.
danarenee06
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I struggle with this all the time. I have this overwhelming sadness when I think of having to share my love with another baby, I just love my dd so much it hurts. I can't imagine her ever feeling jealous of another baby. Right now she is the only child, grandchild and great grandchild and its not looking like either of mine or my husbands siblings are going to have kids (realistically). I know it's not normal but I literally tear up every time I think about it but on the other hand I don't want her to ever be lonely. She is so social and loves other kids. Am I doing her a disservice?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)