Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

1st time buying a car seat - help!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm a mom-to-be for the first time and I'm starting to shop for a car seat, but there are so many options, where do I start?! 

Obviously I want something safe - how do I research the pros / cons of the different brands? Do you have a brand you love / hate? What options should I look for? What is over-rated?

What did you buy, why, and if you could do it again would you get something else?

Help!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pmsforlife
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I've used safety 1st cars seats and now booster seats for my kids. Favorite brand for me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
there is a car seat group that I know is a lot of help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gofast_mama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I'd also recommend the car seat group here, there are many factors you need to consider. Budget, price, how long you'd like to rear face, if you want an infant seat or a longer use convertible, what car it'll be going into. Good luck hope you find something that works for you!

If everything seems under control,

your just not going fast enough.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Join the Car Seat Safety Group!!!!!  They are Car Seat Technicians who are trained in all the newest car seats and can help you purchase as well as install all seats!!!  

What child is it for?  Newborn.....Do you want convertible or carrier?  Toddler.....do you want extended rear facing (which is safest) or forward facing only?

RutterMama
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Newborn - Chicco Key Fit 30 hands down... no comparison. Safest seat on the market.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The IIHS has a list of "best bet" car seats, which helped me narrow down the search for my 2 yr old's new car seat.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

Link to the car seat safety group. they will be the biggest help.

Personally I skipped the infant seat the second time around and don't regret it. If I were buying a car seat right now I would probably go with the graco size for me 70.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Any carseat that is in stores is safe or it wouldnt be on the shelf. I like Graco. Thats what we stick with. Its affordable and great quality. Evenflo is awsome too. Britax is awesome but rediculously insane expensive. 

mommy2casidee
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Britax
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

there is a car seat board here that could help you with a lot of that.

as for brands, I agree that all are safe...some will get you more use than others in terms of how long you'll be able to use them because of height and weight restrictions.

I don't recommend cosco/safety 1st/eddie bauer seats in most cases, the exception is the guide 65 seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)