Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Holding off Kindergarten until he is 6 *Edit

Posted by   + Show Post

So, my DH and I decided that we will enroll our son who is almost 4 1/2 now into PreK again this September. Instead, of sending him to Kindergarten as he will just turn 5 on August 26th. I think it is the best decision holding off on the K until 2014 when he just turns 6. An extra year at the PreK will not hurt - it will only help him prepare more for K. 

Has anyone else here gone through this? Having your kiddo so close to the 'age cut off' for Kindergarten?

*Edit - I'm not holding him back from Kindergarten just because of his age. Should have mentioned that I feel he needs an extra year to work on his letters and numbers and writing his name, there at PreK. Kindergarten isn't what it used to be and you really need to know those things because getting there. At the K in my area, there is homework every night and its pretty intense as far as for 5-6 year olds. I don't want to rush him if he isn't ready and I don't think that he will be ready for K this year. 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (91-92):
CJTC0911
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I think it's a great decision! You know your child & what they are ready for! I know a couple kids who had to go to 1st grade twice b/c they just weren't ready the first time around. Better to go to pre-k twice then 1st grade! My daughter will turn 4 in June & will start pre-k in the fall! It's tough with summer babies to know when to start them!
EvanandOlivia
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I agree!!!! My husband and I have had fights over this very subject and to delay starting Kindergarten for our daughter with an Aug. 31 b-day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN