Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So im a mom of 3, my second child, who just turned 27 months is a character.... He does not really listen when we dont want to do something... I tell him, the count then timeout... Well timeout is the greatest thing in his eyes... Weve changed location, duration, etc, but nothing matters. At daycare they say he listens well... The biggest thing we have trouble with at home is climbing and wanting foid/drink( he wants to eat and drink literally all day). Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about how to discipline effectivly?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Replies (11-13):
Roo1234
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps instead of telling and counting...which gives him more opportunity to keep doing it until he is "in trouble"...it would be better to physically intervene and redirect over and over until he gets the message that it isn't a good choice.  

Toddlers focus on what is in frount of them, they can't think abstractly enough to say "Well, mom doesn't want me touching the TV so I should walk across the room and find a toy she would approve of to to play with now."

You have to show them what you want, not tell them "no" from across the room.

kerrylee39
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I just wanted to clarify, im not punishing him for wanting to eat.... He eats 6 times a day and very healthy. If hes hungry/thirsty, he eats.. thats fine...It was used as an example... What i dont want is him in and out of the fridge every other minute, climbing on counters, etc.. My question is more about time outs/discipline/quiet time.... Which method have people had success with/what tips... Sorry for the confusion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The only thing I know is, you have to pick one way to do time outs and stick with it. If you keep changing it, It's not going to work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)