Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Stay at home moms...

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 58 Replies

Lately, my kids have been driving me completely up the wall. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to be a sahm anymore because I feel it might be ruining our relationship. Both daughters will be starting preschool next school year and I'm currently pregnant. I have no one to watch my kids for me to look for work or get a job. I am just HATING being cooped up in the house for days and days at a time with nothing to do. I've seriously been in the house not going anywhere for a week, if not longer. We have one vehicle and my husband works a lot of hours and by the time the kids go to bed I just want to relax or work on school work while it's actually quiet. How the heck do people cope with being a sahm for so long and keep their sanity, at least some of it? 

Editing to add, even though it's in the comments... we have no 2nd car, no public transportation unless we want to pay 30 bucks or more for a cab 15 minutes down the road, no gym, no mall, winter in NH, snow, ice...

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillVon
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Exercise. I do that to keep me sane. Or I'll plop my dd in her stroller and go for a long walk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Exercising doesn't work because the kids get in the way, plus I'm pregnant and need to take it easy, so I stopped doing the videos I was doing. As for the walks, it's 14 degrees and icy/snowy outside, so that won't work. When it's nice, we're outside every day, but winter in NH sucks.

Quoting WillVon:

Exercise. I do that to keep me sane. Or I'll plop my dd in her stroller and go for a long walk.

CafeMom Tickers

KAmomma1113
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I totally know where your coming from. Im a sahm, my daughter is almost 2 and im 6 months pregnant, and most days wanna lose my mind not having adult interaction. My husband works alot too so its just us. I take any free time I can and do something I enjoy for me....crafts, games, movie, tv show, bath or sleep! I dont have a babysitter either so my daughter goes everywhere with me and it is hard I agree! If u can afford it, have u looked into day cares to drop the kids off for a couple hours to gain ur sanity? Ive also heard some gyms have a play area for kids while u work out. Maybe check that out too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Can't afford daycare, and the only gym around here has unpaid sitters that do it for a free membership. I went one week and what I saw did not make me comfortable.  I don't really carea bout the interaction. I hate being cooped up like a prisoner.

Quoting KAmomma1113:

I totally know where your coming from. Im a sahm, my daughter is almost 2 and im 6 months pregnant, and most days wanna lose my mind not having adult interaction. My husband works alot too so its just us. I take any free time I can and do something I enjoy for me....crafts, games, movie, tv show, bath or sleep! I dont have a babysitter either so my daughter goes everywhere with me and it is hard I agree! If u can afford it, have u looked into day cares to drop the kids off for a couple hours to gain ur sanity? Ive also heard some gyms have a play area for kids while u work out. Maybe check that out too.

CafeMom Tickers

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I make a point of getting out often alone.  I run, I go to hot yoga, even grocery shopping at night alone is relaxing to me.  I go out with my friends, schedule playdates so the kids occupy themselves and I can talk with another adult. 

Go to the craft store and find fun things to do while you are in the home.  Bundle the kids up and go for a walk.  I know it's cold and snowy so just put more layers on. 

LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, mainly we go out of the house. I don't like being cooped up either. walks to parks, friends to go out with swapping sitting with them or family memeber work too, libraries, churches are great to get involved along with animal rescue so much to do so many to know and most of the time in multiple short burst of work which is great for homeschoolers and homemakers who are tagging their kids along too. Just get creative, and get a used second vehicle.

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We can't afford another car. Have no friends or family besides my mom in the area and she can't take both kids on her own due to her disability. We do go to the library often since it's right next door to us, but they go too much, they get bored with that. We live a good 20 minutes from anything else we can do. I think it's mainly just winter getting to me making us be cooped up in the house all the time.

bloomsr
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I waitress a few nights a week to get out of the house, to make $, and to give dh a chance to see what I do all day long.

Not having a car to go places during the day would be awful and maddening.
Mommynwife26
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

1. I could NEVER be a single car household, I have my own vehicle so we can go out and do things.

2. I was driven crazy till my kids started school, as soon as 2 of them were in school it was easier with just one at home, one that actually took naps.

3. Outside, outside, outside. Idk if you have a backyard but when it's warm I would kick my kids outside.

The winters are hardest because they are stuck inside the most so we play a lot of borad games, hide n seek in the house, makes forts, have pj days and veg in front of the tv. But it doesn't mean there are not days that drive me crazy! Its a normal feeling for sure.

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It is. We're hoping to get a new van with taxes this year and hubby keep the one we have now for work so we are able to go out. It's really crappy in the winter, nothing to do.

Quoting bloomsr:

I waitress a few nights a week to get out of the house, to make $, and to give dh a chance to see what I do all day long.

Not having a car to go places during the day would be awful and maddening.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)