Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

dry scalp

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 2 yo daughter gets really dry scalp. Is there anything I can put on it after her bath to help with it. We use johnson baby soap. It is so dry that she get flakes and it is just in one spot. 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

She may have some residual cradle cap.  Did she have that as an infant?

You may want to look into different shampoo.  Johnson baby soap is actually pretty harsh for lo's skin :/.  I have two children with sensitive skin issues and I could NEVER use the stuff.

I use Mustela soap and shampoo for my 14 month old.  I found that at Target.  Its a little more expensive, but it does last quite a while.

Good luck :)

corrinacs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Oh, and if its really bad, you can do a few things.

1. Put baby oil in her hair and comb the spot well where the flakes are.  Give her a good bath afterwards.

2. Selsum Blue.  Not an option you want to use often, but if its bad or really itchy, this does the trick.

Izzy_pop
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No she did not have cradle cap. I have been putting cetaphil on it which is what her dermatologist has me do for her eczema

Quoting corrinacs:

You may want to look into different shampoo.  Johnson baby soap is actually pretty harsh for lo's skin :/.  I have two children with sensitive skin issues and I could NEVER use the stuff.

I use Mustela soap and shampoo for my 14 month old.  I found that at Target.  Its a little more expensive, but it does last quite a while.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Oh, that's good :). Cradle cap sucks LOL.  But when you described it, that's what it most sounded like.

And I prsume the cetaphyl isn't helping anymore?  If it lasts a while and you can't find anything to help, maybe speak to the doctor.

Good luck!!!!

Quoting Izzy_pop:

No she did not have cradle cap. I have been putting cetaphil on it which is what her dermatologist has me do for her eczema

Quoting corrinacs:

PEEK05
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hmmmm I don't know but here is a bump.

itsm3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM

get rid of the J&J ... that stuff is garbage... dried out my dd's scalp too and my pedi told me to toss that out.  i use an all-natural shampoo for dd and she's fine now.

Izzy_pop
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

What do you use?

Quoting itsm3:

get rid of the J&J ... that stuff is garbage... dried out my dd's scalp too and my pedi told me to toss that out.  i use an all-natural shampoo for dd and she's fine now.

itsm3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

i use alba shampoos for dd.  http://www.albabotanica.com/hair/shampoos.html

Quoting Izzy_pop:

What do you use?

Quoting itsm3:

SoJosMom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My dd's pediatrician recommended Cetaphil to us, too. I have heard Aveeno products may be good for dry scalp/skin, too. I haven't tried the Aveeno products yet, but when I am done using up our Cetaphil, I think I may switch to Aveeno. I am dissapointed in Cetaphil's results in helping my dd's dry skin - just don't want to waste what I have left - it is helping her a little/no harm. Good luck!

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Maybe a natural soap?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN