Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

question about learning to write

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
DS is in pre k and his teacher is concerned that he's not interested in writing or learning letters/numbers. So I have been working with him on the dry erase board at home. Is it better to do the same letter day after day til he gets it then move on to another. Or is it better to do 3-4 a day and rotate. All opinions and advice welcome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Our dd's preschool does a letter a week, they write the letter upper and lower case, find things that start with the letter, etc.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I started with the letters in the child's name, easiest letter first. That way it starts out fun. My dd1's name is Hannah. She's 3yo. She loves writing the letter H bc H is for Hannah. She picks out every H we see. She can also write an A and now we are working on N. she really wants to be able to write her name.
My 5yo doesn't like to write. He can write all tge letters but he hates writing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylmoore
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
His name is Nathan and he has the N. He recognizes his name when he see s it but not writing the other letters yet. He writes X also but so far that's it. My understanding is he needs to be able to recognize and write all letters plus numbers 0-9 by the time he starts kindergarten in August

Quoting OBImomma:

I started with the letters in the child's name, easiest letter first. That way it starts out fun. My dd1's name is Hannah. She's 3yo. She loves writing the letter H bc H is for Hannah. She picks out every H we see. She can also write an A and now we are working on N. she really wants to be able to write her name.

My 5yo doesn't like to write. He can write all tge letters but he hates writing.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

is he 3 or 4? My daughter is 4 and we had a rough time getting her to do it at the beginning of the year with the writing. She is getting better. She already knows her numbers and such and gets bored with it. There are several in her class that do. I wouldnt worry to much. Check out starfall.com or precschool prepco dvds and stuff. those are amazing. Especially during the summer when school is out

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I'm not sure.  I  know my son learned his name first (so he could label his own work) and then moved on from there.  I'm not sure what process they used though.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I'd spend a week on each letter/number. Do something everyday with that Letter
Scavenger hunt for things that begin with the letter
Super hero that begins with that letter (super socks, beautiful buttons) and make the costumes
Make a big letter, cut it out and let him decorate it with something that starts with the letter
Learn the letter in sign language
Write the letter

These are rings I go with my kids. They really like it.

Quoting cherylmoore:

His name is Nathan and he has the N. He recognizes his name when he see s it but not writing the other letters yet. He writes X also but so far that's it. My understanding is he needs to be able to recognize and write all letters plus numbers 0-9 by the time he starts kindergarten in August

Quoting OBImomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
We accidentally discovered that my two and half yr old loves to take old stencils we had and trace them on his magnadoodle. I would have never thought of it, but he was prowling the school supply cubbies and squealed when he found the stencils. So now a daily activity is tracing the stencils on his magnadoodle. He giggles incessantly when we do it.
Like I said , total accident, but it's working :-)
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
This is what DS' does and also continuously works on his name. There is a website (kidzone I think) where you can get prinours of traceable names ad letters. My son's school also sends home worksheets. Do you have an easel? If so, I'd practice on there, as it's generally easier for kids.

Quoting preacherskid:

Our dd's preschool does a letter a week, they write the letter upper and lower case, find things that start with the letter, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2casidee
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
With both of my kids I started with their names, once they got that they seemed excited to write more letters. They both could spell and write their name, mom, dad and dog by 3. Maybe try that...? Upper case is what pre school started with with my girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherylmoore
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
He's 4. He will be 5 in June. We did his name today and then after I wrote a big letter A and asked him and he got it right.Thanks for the advice
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)