Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crankiness after nap!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

My 2 yr old has recently started being a huge snotface when she wakes up from her one and only nap of the day. It's driving me crazy, I want to completely cut out her nap so I can avoid it! I'm thinking earlier bed time and no naps

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:38 AM
What's her sleep schedule now? 2 year olds generally still need the nap. Maybe its too late in the day?... I'm cranky when I wake up from naps too. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM
I did that to an 18 month old that I used to babysit, with his mother's consent. I noticed that after naps he was mean. He would bite his sister and my daughter, hit, throw stuff, do things that he knew he wasn't supposed to. One time, he knocked my then newborn out of his bouncer seat and laid on him. He would also cry bc someone looked at him if he had a nap. After I talked to his mom and stopped letting him have a nap, he was better. We didn't have as many incidents and getting him to sleep at night was easier.

However, some kids need naps. My daughter needed naps until she was almost 3. She has juvenile arthritis and the lack of sleep caused her to be in more pain. When she's in pain, she's mean, and doesn't listen. Have you tried letting her lay in bed with a book or a movie or something to wake up after her nap?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Many times irritability means over tired. Maybe cutting out the nap isn't a good idea. My son is cranky when he wakes up if we don't have snuggle time immediately after.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I used to be the same way my mom tells me. And I relize I still am which is why I try to never take naps. Sorry I have no advice. Maybe some ciuddling for a few mins? I know when my DD does wake up cranky I just hold her and sit on the couch for a few mins until she really wakes up and feels better. 

PEEK05
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Maybe her nap is not long enough

feliciasmith
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

She's taking like 2 hr naps.

She used to take naps before lunch around 12-2 but  I wanted her to eat lunch before so now she takes naps around 2-4 sometimes later

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Aww, don't cut out her nap. She probably still needs it! Maybe make nap time a little earlier?  Don't worry, she is goin g to give up nap time soon enough. M y 2 year old just did. :( 

womanwifemomof3
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting PEEK05:

She's taking like 2 hr naps.

She used to take naps before lunch around 12-2 but  I wanted her to eat lunch before so now she takes naps around 2-4 sometimes later

I'm thinking over tired as well and pushing the nap back later confuses her body with her night time long sleep.  So I'd give her lunch at 11ish and have her down for a nap at 12 and let her wake naturally and not according to a schedule. Typically you want the child awake for at least 4 hours before trying to do bedtime.  So as long as she got up before 4 she'd still be okay for a 8pm bedtime which is kind of standard for people.  But she probably wouldn't sleep much more than 3hr. So starting bedtime routines at 7pm then could work, I've lived with/worked with many kids.

womanwifemomof3
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Also watch her close for first signs of sleepiness and prepare for ex. start lunch.  If she stays in that sleepy state too long she will get a 'second wind"  The brain releases a chemical that enables that "second wind"  The kid kind of seems overly active then.  You need to get the child into a good sleep habitat before the child gets that "second wind"  so they can fall asleep easily.  After the second wind it's very difficult for the child to fall asleep and once the energy wears off, the child is just cranky and difficult until they crash and then if they don't get enough sleep the child stays cranky.  I suggest earlier nap as long as she wants and then earlier bed for her. 

mayalove
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
My three year old DD does the same. It's not everyday but ahem she does it, its horrible. But I don't want to royalty cut out her nap because when she does not nap she is very ebony
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)