Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I have 2 kids ages 4 & 5 years old. I was thinking about getting them a bunkbed but dont know if they are still to young?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids were 15 months and just turned 3 when we got bunk beds for them so no I don't think your kids are too young as long as you know they can follow any rules you set with it. We got the kind that has rails around the top bunk and set rules such as no playing on the top bunk at all, no standing on the top, and no leaning over the rails. We never had any trouble. :-) Our oldest has always slept on the top and when we first moved they had seperate rooms and we just seperated the beds. :-)

la1118
by Laura on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

They're probably old enough.  My 5 and 9yo have bunk beds and actually it's the 5yo who sleeps on top.  Ours has a very sturdy railing the whole length of the top.

lovehimforever
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM
We thought about bunk beds but decided to go with a trundle bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I got a bunkbed for my 4 going on 5yo and he sleeps well on the top :). This is the one we got:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Twin-Over-Twin-Walnut-Bunk-Bed-with-Optional-Mattresses/20685081

We got twin mattresses on Amazon because the ones that come with it are apparently horrible.  The bottom bunk's even falls through the slats :/.  The ones we got were both the same and with springs so we haven't had that problem.

He does well with it, as it still has the guards at the top to prevent him from falling off. But I don't know with the both of them.  His baby brother is only 1 and he's still in his own room in a crib.  We got the bunk beds for them to share later on......but we will see how many shananigans they get into . The nice thing is that hte bunk beds to split into 2 separate beds if they decide to break them in the future :)

ZAGARIPRUSS
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Also Had Them. But I Was Older. No problim
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Mine had them... ended up sleeping together on the bottom.  Every once in awhile, one or more of them would decide to sleep on the top bunk- it ended up being a group activity.  They PLAYED up there all the time, but wanted to sleep on the bottom...

angelyuna20
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

my kids got a bunk bed from my mom for Christmas. DS just turned 6 and DD is 2. They love it. Just be sure to set rules like no playing on the top bunk, only one person on top bunk at a time, etc. The only concern would be if they get up at night do you think they could get down without falling. DS never gets up (he's a really heavy sleeper) so we didn't really worry about it. He adjusted really well. But every kid is different. Think it through and talk to your kids about it. If it seems like it would work go for it.

OBImomma
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Those are really neat!

Quoting IAMmomtotrips:

Another view
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
My 5yo has a loft bed. He does really good in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnm4242
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I wouldn't do it yet if they are wild. My 4 year old daughter is so reckless in her sleep (she has lots of dreams), she'll even sit up and start talking, then thrash around. I wouldn't feel comfortable with her on the top bunk. Depends on the kids and what kind of sleepers they are. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN