Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Question for moms who formula fed **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

When did you stop giving your child formula? My son will be 13 months on feb. 7. but he is still on formula because regular milk hurts his stomach and he can't keep it down. My daughter is on a toddler formula and when we tried him on it he didn't like it. So I was just wondering how long other infants were on formula.

My sons doctor said to wait about a month and then try him on the toddler formula again. He says that he just may not be ready for milk yet and to try it later.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My daughter is a year and a half old and still on formula--we've tried to switch her to whole milk twice but she gets very gassy and spits up and restless at night. 

Wonderfulmom314
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

11 months when I take the bottle away

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM
10 months with DD1 and 13 months with DD2
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aludaru
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
I switched from formula to whole milk @ 12 months. There was about a week or so that I had to mix them to get her to take it, but after that she was fine with just milk
Kayla-Kay
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I started transitioning my son for milk at 12 months he would do 8 oz formula 2 oz milk one week the 6oz formula 4 oz milk th next week and 4oz formula 4 oz milk tthen 2oz formula 4oz milk and it was a smooth transition for him it's also how we bottle broke him

If your LO is having a cows milk intolerance maybe soy milk? Goats milk? I know my son loves soy milk along with cows milk

But your LO could also just be not ready to veer from the formula just yet you could always ask your pedi what they think

My general rule of thumb is if I don't know and my Grandma does not know then I ask my pedi
AnGLInterrupted
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I took her off formula around 12 months but she was off completely around 18 months.  I still had a can in the pantry and when she would get sick or go through one of her, "I refuse to eat for 3 days" phases I would add a scoop of it to her milk to make sure she was getting some of the nutrients that she needed.  Luckily this child has no problem eating now (she's 5).  She gives football players a run for their money haha!

If he's having those kinds of problems you need to speak with his doctor.  He could have a lactose intolerance.  He could be allergic to milk.  You just never know.  GL

sassykymom4
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

You have to do it gradually..my kids were on soy...so they drink silk...it will take a little while for some. WHen we switched my DD she would only drink 2% and now at 3 hates milk so we have to give her pediasure. My 2 sons didnt mind the switch at all..My youngest DS will be a yr next month and we are already mixing his formula with a little milk. Good Luck,,

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I switched at 12 months give or take a week or 2. If milk it a problem for him I would talk to the dr about it. Maybe try him on a different type of milk.

IQuitCounting
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I can't recall exactly, but it was before his 1st birthday.  If he has issues with digestion I would talk to his doctor about options.

blapier
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

He might have an allergy to cows milk. If you try soy I'd be careful because some babies who are allergic to cows milk have a soy allergy. My DD doesn't like cows milk so we give her almond milk. Talk to your pedi they could give you recommendations.:) GL mama!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)