Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Question for moms who formula fed **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

When did you stop giving your child formula? My son will be 13 months on feb. 7. but he is still on formula because regular milk hurts his stomach and he can't keep it down. My daughter is on a toddler formula and when we tried him on it he didn't like it. So I was just wondering how long other infants were on formula.

My sons doctor said to wait about a month and then try him on the toddler formula again. He says that he just may not be ready for milk yet and to try it later.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
GremlinMom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
We started the transition a week before their bday. They had some milk with their bday cake. Try soy, almond or any other kind of non-dairy milk. Don't forget to be careful with cheese, yogurt and other dairies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Formula isn't a replacement for milk.  It's a full nutritional liquid that takes care of all a infant's needs.  Once a child starts eating a normal, well rounded diet, formula (and breastmilk) are no longer necessary.

WIth my younger son, the peditrician said we didn't need formula at 10 or 11 months.  He was eating full means by that age, so the formula was no longer necessary.

emarin77
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Until the end of the 11th month.  Maybe your child needs to drink soy instead of reguler milk.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Try soy, almond, coconut, or Lactaid milk. Could be lactose intolerance or milk allergy. Im lactose intolerant and drink soy milk. I think its tastes really good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My son doesn't drink "regular" milk, he drinks soy or almond milk. Regular didn't do well with his stomach.

vwade
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Our son was on formula, an organic soy formula, until he was about 16-17mos.  We weaned him off by gradually introducing regular milk.  First, we added 1/4 of regular milk to 3/4 of formula, then gradually increased the milk on a weekly basis until he was drinking a full sippy cup of regular milk.  If your son is having digestive problems with regular milk, try organic.  We have and currently use Oberweiss Whole Milk, it is not organic but it doesn't have hormones and antibiotics like most store brand milk.  Our son didn't experience any digestive problems the Oberweiss milk.

aj2011
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I switched my son out of formula when he was 13 months. I gradually gave him whole fresh milk. I gave him 50/50. As he got used to the whole milk I gave him less of the formula.

CafeMom Tickers
EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM

a little over a year, just until what we already bought ran out

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

their first birthdays. You don't have to give them milk.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I stopped at 12 months for all three. I started giving just a tiny bit of milk, like and ounce or two a day at about 10 months and slowly did more tillt hey were used to it and stopped formula at 12 months once the formula was gone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)