Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pedi did NOT test for the flu!

Posted by   + Show Post

Our daughter started running a fever on Tuesday and complained of a headache and sore throat.  I assumed strep.  But then she started saying her whole body hurt and she was just 'cold.'  Her temp was always low, which is odd for her b/c she usually runs very high fevers.  Well, hubby takes her to pedi Wed and says she just has virus and sends on the way.  Come Friday she is snotty and coughing.  Still got low fever (99-100) off and on.  So, Saturday morning I call pedi to see if they will call in antibiotic to get rid of GREEN boogers.  Have to take in.  This doc decides to test for flu.  I say I thought she was already tested and she said no just for strep on Wed.  UGH!!!!!!  I thought this was a bad flu season and all kids are being tested now.  I am ticked!!!  She has a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, AND flu.  Plus she has infected several other children this week b/c we did not know..........I'm just a bit frustrated...........

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I babysit in my home and its up to the parents to bring their kids or not when MY kids are sick.  When I informed the parents my child was running a low fever and pedi just said it was a common virus then there wasn't much alarm.  The flu is a lil more serious than a 'common' virus, especially when I keep infants and the flu this year has been deadly to some :(  I do keep my children away from others when they are sick!  We do not go out!  Not even when they have sinus infections b/c I don't want them to spread their germs nor do I want them (with a weak immune system) to pick up another bacteria.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

4 kids over 28 years and none of us have ever been tested for the flu.  You knew your child wasn't feeling well and Pedi told you a virus so if you REALLY cared about infecting others you would of kept her home.  

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes I know.  With my child green boogers turn into croup over night.  If I don't get antibiotics to kill the infection then it will get very serious.  I have to stop it before it gets worse.  :(  We are also doing breathing treatments to try to prevent oral steriods.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

Necie72
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Why do people "freak" so much nowadays...  I remember when I'd get sick, my mother would just keep me home, give me soup and crackers and ginger ale and that was it...  No meds, no doctor, just good old fashioned REST and "basic" food to keep the stomach calm...  No wonder insurance rates are sky high...

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually the flu is a common virus this time of year and while there are years that are worse than others children die every year from the flu. You make it all sound like its the Drs fault you exposed these children. Even if they had tested your chid and got a positive it would if already been too late for the others unless you had been on vacation or something. Unless kids live in a box this time of year exposure to some degree is going to happen.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I babysit in my home and its up to the parents to bring their kids or not when MY kids are sick.  When I informed the parents my child was running a low fever and pedi just said it was a common virus then there wasn't much alarm.  The flu is a lil more serious than a 'common' virus, especially when I keep infants and the flu this year has been deadly to some :(  I do keep my children away from others when they are sick!  We do not go out!  Not even when they have sinus infections b/c I don't want them to spread their germs nor do I want them (with a weak immune system) to pick up another bacteria.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

4 kids over 28 years and none of us have ever been tested for the flu.  You knew your child wasn't feeling well and Pedi told you a virus so if you REALLY cared about infecting others you would of kept her home.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Awww poor thing.  I hope she feels better.  My kids got the same darn thing...followed by a sinus infection.  I have one on antibiotics.  I have another one whose breath is starting to get that "stink" of an URI.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If oyu read the reply above yours, you'll see why she's worried about it.

As a mom with two chlidren with asthma, colds/viruses really keep us on edge.  My son got an asthma attack so bad, it collapsed his lung.....as a result from a cold that turned into a sinus infection.  He's had pneumonia several times as well as a result :(.

Even I have breathing issues like this when I catch a cold.  I got the darn illness right after him earlier this month.  I was using my inhaler the most I could each day.  Its no fun barely being able to breath :(.  Not to mention, I've coughed myself into a broken rib before......you cough and you feel like you are going to die!

Quoting Necie72:

Why do people "freak" so much nowadays...  I remember when I'd get sick, my mother would just keep me home, give me soup and crackers and ginger ale and that was it...  No meds, no doctor, just good old fashioned REST and "basic" food to keep the stomach calm...  No wonder insurance rates are sky high...

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

OH NO!  Hope you can get it under control soon and everyone feeling better!

Quoting corrinacs:

Awww poor thing.  I hope she feels better.  My kids got the same darn thing...followed by a sinus infection.  I have one on antibiotics.  I have another one whose breath is starting to get that "stink" of an URI.

ScarletRose4488
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all you did know she was sick so any of those kids that she infected is on you.

2nd, the flu is not treated with antibiotics so even if she had tested positive it would not have changed anything.

3rd, the reason they are testing so much for the flu is because they want numbers for data NOT because it will help your child in any way.   Most doctors won't test for the flu because it is just an extra test that you have to pay for that makes no difference in your treatment.  

So stop being mad at your doctor and next time be a little more proactive on the homecare.  

I hope she feels better soon!

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
ScarletRose4488
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Also, just an FYI........ The flu is a virus.   

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My son had the flu the 2nd week of January. His temp never went above 101; however, DH and I were in the 103 range when we went to the doc on the same day. Tamiflu does reduce the symptoms; however, from the CDC paperwork given by my pedi, they are only giving it to kids who are in "high risk" catagories. Since my son is a chronic wheezer and we got in within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms, he was given it.

We just got the sinus infection this week and now on antibiotics. Hope your DD gets to feeling better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)