Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pedi did NOT test for the flu!

Posted by   + Show Post

Our daughter started running a fever on Tuesday and complained of a headache and sore throat.  I assumed strep.  But then she started saying her whole body hurt and she was just 'cold.'  Her temp was always low, which is odd for her b/c she usually runs very high fevers.  Well, hubby takes her to pedi Wed and says she just has virus and sends on the way.  Come Friday she is snotty and coughing.  Still got low fever (99-100) off and on.  So, Saturday morning I call pedi to see if they will call in antibiotic to get rid of GREEN boogers.  Have to take in.  This doc decides to test for flu.  I say I thought she was already tested and she said no just for strep on Wed.  UGH!!!!!!  I thought this was a bad flu season and all kids are being tested now.  I am ticked!!!  She has a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, AND flu.  Plus she has infected several other children this week b/c we did not know..........I'm just a bit frustrated...........

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

What difference does it make?  If your child was that sick, you shouldn't have had her around other kids to begin with.  A diagnosis of the flu doesn't change the treatment.

MedicMommy2
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Croup is not an infection due to bacteria it is a virus. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. My son gets croup every year like clockwork and its the nebulizer and steroids that work to ease it.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Yes I know.  With my child green boogers turn into croup over night.  If I don't get antibiotics to kill the infection then it will get very serious.  I have to stop it before it gets worse.  :(  We are also doing breathing treatments to try to prevent oral steriods.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

Katt709
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM
My boys had the flu but we managed at home. I got the flu a few days later and had my ob call in tamiflu. No tests needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM
This, hope She feels better soon

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I'm sorry she's feeling crappy and has those infections but I'm not sure what it would have mattered if they had tested her for the flu.  There's nothing you can do for the flu anyway except ride it out and treat any secondary infections, which you are.  I hope she feels better soon.

BramblePatch
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
My pedi put DD on antibiotics when she had croup.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Croup is not an infection due to bacteria it is a virus. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. My son gets croup every year like clockwork and its the nebulizer and steroids that work to ease it.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Yes I know.  With my child green boogers turn into croup over night.  If I don't get antibiotics to kill the infection then it will get very serious.  I have to stop it before it gets worse.  :(  We are also doing breathing treatments to try to prevent oral steriods.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nichole0403
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Thankyou! couldn't of said it any better myself! It's horrible how inconsiderate people can be at times, and putting blaim in everyone but themselves. When my children are showing any signs of illnesses I don't take them anywhere unless I have no other choice.

Quoting ScarletRose4488:

First of all you did know she was sick so any of those kids that she infected is on you.

2nd, the flu is not treated with antibiotics so even if she had tested positive it would not have changed anything.

3rd, the reason they are testing so much for the flu is because they want numbers for data NOT because it will help your child in any way.   Most doctors won't test for the flu because it is just an extra test that you have to pay for that makes no difference in your treatment.  

So stop being mad at your doctor and next time be a little more proactive on the homecare.  

I hope she feels better soon!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I would get a different pedi.

My son's pedi would have tested him for everything. He wouldn't just check for one thing. Every time my son goes in there because he's ill, his pedi checks him for everything that could be wrong. Not just one thing.  

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Its the flu. No way to cure it. Tamiflu can HELP but its not a guarantee like antibiotics.
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Most peds will put kids on antibiotics for anything.

Quoting BramblePatch:

My pedi put DD on antibiotics when she had croup.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM

anymore we have 2 tell the doctors how 2 do their job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)