Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pedi did NOT test for the flu!

Posted by   + Show Post

Our daughter started running a fever on Tuesday and complained of a headache and sore throat.  I assumed strep.  But then she started saying her whole body hurt and she was just 'cold.'  Her temp was always low, which is odd for her b/c she usually runs very high fevers.  Well, hubby takes her to pedi Wed and says she just has virus and sends on the way.  Come Friday she is snotty and coughing.  Still got low fever (99-100) off and on.  So, Saturday morning I call pedi to see if they will call in antibiotic to get rid of GREEN boogers.  Have to take in.  This doc decides to test for flu.  I say I thought she was already tested and she said no just for strep on Wed.  UGH!!!!!!  I thought this was a bad flu season and all kids are being tested now.  I am ticked!!!  She has a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, AND flu.  Plus she has infected several other children this week b/c we did not know..........I'm just a bit frustrated...........

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (31-38):
erinsmom1964
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Isn't that the truth and exactly why we have these deadly super-bugs yet people REFUSE to allow their bodies a fighting chance.  How many time do we see hysterical mothers on here over a 100 degree "temp". Already alternating meds to get that fever down.  Not even realizing the harm they are doing by not letting it do its job and that 100 is NOTHING.   Even things that antibiotics will help should be given a chance to cure themselves BEFORE an antibiotic is given.  What is sad is those who must have antibiotics ALL THE TIME don't even realize they probably set it up that way by killing off their child's good bacteria hurting their immune system.

My boys grew up in daycare and its part of the territory...as it is when they go to school or even rec classes.  Hell my DD's new ballet class sounded like the walking dead last week.  She still hasn't come down with it....hope she doesn't but you can't expect their immune systems to work if they are never used.  

Quoting brebugmom91:

Most peds will put kids on antibiotics for anything.

Quoting BramblePatch:

My pedi put DD on antibiotics when she had croup.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Croup is not an infection due to bacteria it is a virus. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. My son gets croup every year like clockwork and its the nebulizer and steroids that work to ease it.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Yes I know.  With my child green boogers turn into croup over night.  If I don't get antibiotics to kill the infection then it will get very serious.  I have to stop it before it gets worse.  :(  We are also doing breathing treatments to try to prevent oral steriods.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree. People don't realize fevers are good. My 18 month old had a 104.8 fever right before Christmas. Did I rush her to the ER? Nope. I stripped her down put her in lukewarm bath water and gave motrin. It came down a whole degree within 30 minutes.

My kids rarely get sick because we don't shove medicine down their throat.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Isn't that the truth and exactly why we have these deadly super-bugs yet people REFUSE to allow their bodies a fighting chance.  How many time do we see hysterical mothers on here over a 100 degree "temp". Already alternating meds to get that fever down.  Not even realizing the harm they are doing by not letting it do its job and that 100 is NOTHING.   Even things that antibiotics will help should be given a chance to cure themselves BEFORE an antibiotic is given.  What is sad is those who must have antibiotics ALL THE TIME don't even realize they probably set it up that way by killing off their child's good bacteria hurting their immune system.

My boys grew up in daycare and its part of the territory...as it is when they go to school or even rec classes.  Hell my DD's new ballet class sounded like the walking dead last week.  She still hasn't come down with it....hope she doesn't but you can't expect their immune systems to work if they are never used.  

Quoting brebugmom91:

Most peds will put kids on antibiotics for anything.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Croup is not an infection due to bacteria it is a virus. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. My son gets croup every year like clockwork and its the nebulizer and steroids that work to ease it.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Yes I know.  With my child green boogers turn into croup over night.  If I don't get antibiotics to kill the infection then it will get very serious.  I have to stop it before it gets worse.  :(  We are also doing breathing treatments to try to prevent oral steriods.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Thank you everyone!  I just needed a place to VENT!  I'm sorry if I brought up some 'bad' moments for some.  Yes, I know croup, flu, and such are viruses!  Yes, I know to keep my children away from others when sick!  My daughter is 4yr and we have been through this before, tho this is our FIRST flu case.  I do not run her to doc every chance she has the sniffles.  I do not 'shove' meds down her throat when she gets a mild temp!  My children run extremly high temps when sick so when the temp reaches over 102 I DO give meds and give the pedi a call!!!  And I know MY child's symptoms and when their body acts a certain way then it will turn into something else :(  Its not fun, but better to be safe than sorry.  In this instance.....my child should have been tested for flu so that my babysitting children's parents should have known BEFORE Saturday, not so that I can 'treat' the flu b/c I know you cannot 'treat' the flu!  Also she has a horrible sinus infection and upper respiratory infection and the start of an ear infection, so YES she needed an antibiotic.  Again.......sorry to have offended or come off as stupid to some...........each mom is different and I just needed to vent.  We all have moments with our kids doctors that just drive us nuts!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope your LO feels better soon!

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Some pedis do give antibiotics with croup when its a very severe case.  That is b/c with croup there is a ton of congestion and about 90% of the time that congestion will turn into an ear infection, bronchitis, pneumonia, etc.  SO.......instead of that happening and having the parent bringing the child back into the office the pedi will give meds accordingly.  Some will even say wait a few days before filling to see if congestion will clear up and then not fill if not needed.  But MOST of the time croup only needs steriods and some times breathing treatments.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Chasesmum3109
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Croup may be caused by:

Viral infection (most common) Bacterial infection Allergies Breathing in something that irritates your airway Acid reflux

So yes it can be caused by a bacterial infection, please do research before you jump down someones throat when you obviously aren't informed yourself.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

MedicMommy2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Croup can lead to a bacterial infection but it is caused by a virus. 

Causes

By Mayo Clinic staff

Croup is often caused by the parainfluenza virus. Less often, respiratory syncytial virus or various other respiratory viruses cause croup.

Your child may contract a virus by breathing infected respiratory droplets coughed or sneezed into the air. Virus particles in these droplets may also survive on toys and other surfaces. If your child touches a contaminated surface and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth, an infection may follow.

But thanks for thinking I am not informed.

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Croup may be caused by:

Viral infection (most common) Bacterial infection Allergies Breathing in something that irritates your airway Acid reflux

So yes it can be caused by a bacterial infection, please do research before you jump down someones throat when you obviously aren't informed yourself.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Chasesmum3109
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM
That is incorrect.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Croup can lead to a bacterial infection but it is caused by a virus. 

Causes

By Mayo Clinic staff

Croup is often caused by the parainfluenza virus. Less often, respiratory syncytial virus or various other respiratory viruses cause croup.

Your child may contract a virus by breathing infected respiratory droplets coughed or sneezed into the air. Virus particles in these droplets may also survive on toys and other surfaces. If your child touches a contaminated surface and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth, an infection may follow.

But thanks for thinking I am not informed.

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Croup may be caused by:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Quoting rHOPEb:

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN