Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cReAtIvE mommas needed...preschool activities needed!!!! piog. help.

Posted by   + Show Post
Recently I withdrew my son from preschool. I didn't feel he was learning much from it at all. I am now working with him at home. We do certain activities every day. We have a site word of the week, we write and read. I also started abcmouse .com with him and we love it! Soon I hope to get a tablet to work with also. What are fun educational things you do? Websites? Games..anything. wanna keep his interest. so far he's doing great! Went from not being able to say his ABC's to knowing the whole alphabet :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
PEEK05
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Thanks, I fixed it in my original reply. :)

Quoting momma1708:

the link to your blog brings you back to this post. 

Quoting PEEK05:

www.letteroftheweek.com

We do a lot of arts/crafts, activities, and games.  I actually created a blog website for the things we do. :) www.homelearningjourney.com

Sigmalade
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I use abcmouse.com. I love letteroftheweek, 1+1+1=1, mamasmokneysblogspot, overthemoon.com. There are plenty of free sites and don't forget to check your local library. Also, look on your county or state sites for free resources.

amirah827
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello There- I am new to the group returning to Cafemom and first I want to congratulate you on you choosing to remove your child from Preschool and teach him at home. I have nothing against Preschools, Schools, Day Care etc. Because I believe they are positive, however I've chosen to Homeschool my daughter through High School and I absolutely love it! You have one of the best tools (abcmouse) and all the other Mothers gave great information so I will just "add"  to it and share with you what I do with my daughter. I use FREE stuff!!! www.education.com is where I create a lot of her language arts, math, social studies etc. packets from it's abolutely FREE to create an account and print worksheets. You can if you choose pay $3.99 per year to have unlimited access to workbooks (save/print). I use www.aophomeschooling.com Preschool Workbooks and adding in Bob Jones www.bjupress.com. I use Horizons because it's Biblical, bright, colorful and my daughter is visual and she loves all of the fun work the books have. I also use Lakeshore Learning for arts and craft accessories. If your lil guy has a favorite subject take that and soar! My daughter loves science so I bought her a telescope and she has a "Science Bag" which is a Gallon size zip lock and she collects things outside and we talk about it and research it. Lastly if you haven't check your neighborhood for the Mommy and Me places like a painting ceramics place, sports (YMCA) their typically free or under $30/month. Get marbles for patterns, draw letters and numbers on the ground and let your son guess the letter of the word your saying. If you say "Bug" have him guess what the first letter is and when he does have him spray the letter on the ground with his spray bottle this is  phonics game. Educational strategic games as well I bought my daughter  a bug version of Jenga. The logs are colorful with funny faces on it and she loves using logic to guess which bug to pull so the tower doesn't fall. There is a Super WHY Board Game too that helps with phonics/reading she loves it. Netflix also has a lot of learning movies some leapfrog others just fun like the color crew. Make stations in your home one with books, one with puzzles the other with blocks and rotate your son in 3 cycles they'll love it especially is you play music. Bo on the Go is what I use for exercise (Netflix) and circle time is fun!!! Again have lots of fun and Good Luck!!!!

aidyns_mommy
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Nothing. Honestly. Give him a pile of legos, crayons and paper, a plastic dinosaur, an empty papertowel roll etc etc... and "walk away"

Not really, but Kwim?

Just watch. They learn sooooooo ooooooo much using there own minds. It amazes me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
We use
www.first-school.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amirah827
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hi There-

I almost forgot have "class" outdoors!!!!

ursy
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

One easy, fun activity is just to cover a table area with newspaper and provide a fair amount of glue and let your chlid explore the glue without a focus on "making" anything.  This is especially good for a child who isn't familiar with glue yet or a toddler who hasn't been exposed to this medium.  Usually young children love this activity and they smear the glue around and feel it on their fingers and eventually the paper makes paper mache and then they might start to make some things out of the paper mache like mixture.  It's wonderful to strengthen small motor muscles.  You can do this over and over until the child is ready to go to the next step of making things.  

blazenangel5
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM
My son is 4 soon to be five in may. He's been in preschool for a yr and a half almost. He still didn't know his ABC's. They kept telling me how important it is that he can read some words before kindergarten yet I didn't see the progress. He would play most the time. I took him out two weeks ago and work with him exclusively and hubby and I are impressed! He knows how to say the ABC now and we are learning to recognize them, he can recognize two site words and count pretty high. It's def progress!

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

They do lots of awesome things in my daughters preschool class. They cut out snowmen and glued marshmellows as buttons for the number of the week that they were working on. Its cute. Ill have to look on the wall outside her classroom tomorrow. All the sites above that these ladies have listed are good ones. She knew all her abc's numers and all that when she was amost 3. PrescoolPrepco series dvds and stuff are the best. Thats where she learned it all. Now she is really loving starfall.com. We do it on the weekends. And its free

blazenangel5
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM
He has a wonderful imagination :) we are always hoping on the couch to get out of the " lava" or using all sorts of objects to "fish" off the couch into the ocean lol he has a wonderful imagination..I'm so thankful for that.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Nothing. Honestly. Give him a pile of legos, crayons and paper, a plastic dinosaur, an empty papertowel roll etc etc... and "walk away"

Not really, but Kwim?

Just watch. They learn sooooooo ooooooo much using there own minds. It amazes me.
blazenangel5
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Thank you so much for all the wonderful info!

Quoting amirah827:

Hello There- I am new to the group returning to Cafemom and first I want to congratulate you on you choosing to remove your child from Preschool and teach him at home. I have nothing against Preschools, Schools, Day Care etc. Because I believe they are positive, however I've chosen to Homeschool my daughter through High School and I absolutely love it! You have one of the best tools (abcmouse) and all the other Mothers gave great information so I will just "add"  to it and share with you what I do with my daughter. I use FREE stuff!!! www.education.com is where I create a lot of her language arts, math, social studies etc. packets from it's abolutely FREE to create an account and print worksheets. You can if you choose pay $3.99 per year to have unlimited access to workbooks (save/print). I use www.aophomeschooling.com Preschool Workbooks and adding in Bob Jones www.bjupress.com. I use Horizons because it's Biblical, bright, colorful and my daughter is visual and she loves all of the fun work the books have. I also use Lakeshore Learning for arts and craft accessories. If your lil guy has a favorite subject take that and soar! My daughter loves science so I bought her a telescope and she has a "Science Bag" which is a Gallon size zip lock and she collects things outside and we talk about it and research it. Lastly if you haven't check your neighborhood for the Mommy and Me places like a painting ceramics place, sports (YMCA) their typically free or under $30/month. Get marbles for patterns, draw letters and numbers on the ground and let your son guess the letter of the word your saying. If you say "Bug" have him guess what the first letter is and when he does have him spray the letter on the ground with his spray bottle this is  phonics game. Educational strategic games as well I bought my daughter  a bug version of Jenga. The logs are colorful with funny faces on it and she loves using logic to guess which bug to pull so the tower doesn't fall. There is a Super WHY Board Game too that helps with phonics/reading she loves it. Netflix also has a lot of learning movies some leapfrog others just fun like the color crew. Make stations in your home one with books, one with puzzles the other with blocks and rotate your son in 3 cycles they'll love it especially is you play music. Bo on the Go is what I use for exercise (Netflix) and circle time is fun!!! Again have lots of fun and Good Luck!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)