Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

cReAtIvE mommas needed...preschool activities needed!!!! piog. help.

Posted by   + Show Post
Recently I withdrew my son from preschool. I didn't feel he was learning much from it at all. I am now working with him at home. We do certain activities every day. We have a site word of the week, we write and read. I also started abcmouse .com with him and we love it! Soon I hope to get a tablet to work with also. What are fun educational things you do? Websites? Games..anything. wanna keep his interest. so far he's doing great! Went from not being able to say his ABC's to knowing the whole alphabet :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirstina
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Don't try to do to much. At this young as they don't need formal schooling. I read a lot with my kids. Seeing a phonics song we found on YouTube. Its great because it help with the sound the letters make which is more important than knowing the name of the letters. I'd he cant write his name start working on that. Have him write in shaving cream you can put it on a lid from a rubber maid tote and then you can wash it off in the shower. Have him write on dry erase board, finger paint. Make it a lot of fun. for math work on counting. Count pennies, m&ms, tokens at chuck e cheeses, gummy worms, cups of flour or sugar, eggs. Write simple recipes that he can read using just numbers and pictures.
Hazel2013
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I just recently did the same thing. I felt my son wasnt learning in school so I withdrew him and hes doing good at home with me.
jenaree
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

http://www.productiveparenting.com/aspx/ActivityLibrary.aspx

i just found this website on Pinterest. it has lots of activities for kids and broken down by age.

hwifeandmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I liked the website ChildFun.com.  If you click on "themes" at the top of the page, you'll find links to lots of resources.  Each theme (incl ABCs) includes ideas for crafts, books, fingerplays, snacks, etc., all with that theme or letter.

My kids were too old when I learned about this website, but I've had friends who've used it and liked it. http://www.dltk-kids.com/

musik16
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Go to Pinterest and put in learning for preschoolers, or anything along those lines. I have tons of items on mine.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

1. Pinterst :)

2. Just get random supplies at the craft store.  Pipe cleaners, pompoms, glue, fabric glue/paints are a must :).  

3. When you have a specific lesson coming up, just search for ideas.  if you are doing letter recognition, you can have him make art projects out of those letters.  Like, for R, trace R with raisins and stick stickers of items that start with R :).

Good luck :)

teaching_mama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I am interested in these ideas as well since I do child care in my home...I can use these ideas with my kiddos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

awesome!! smart boy. Some kids just dont thrive in preschool. We just stuck my daughter in there to be around kids. She never was cause my mother-in-law watched her since birth while i was working. Its been one heck of a 5 mos with issues but she is doing alot better. Im glad your son is interested in learning at home. Thats what we do at home alot too on the weekends. I think i was the same way when i was little. My dad did a better job at teaching me.

Quoting blazenangel5:

My son is 4 soon to be five in may. He's been in preschool for a yr and a half almost. He still didn't know his ABC's. They kept telling me how important it is that he can read some words before kindergarten yet I didn't see the progress. He would play most the time. I took him out two weeks ago and work with him exclusively and hubby and I are impressed! He knows how to say the ABC now and we are learning to recognize them, he can recognize two site words and count pretty high. It's def progress!

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

They do lots of awesome things in my daughters preschool class. They cut out snowmen and glued marshmellows as buttons for the number of the week that they were working on. Its cute. Ill have to look on the wall outside her classroom tomorrow. All the sites above that these ladies have listed are good ones. She knew all her abc's numers and all that when she was amost 3. PrescoolPrepco series dvds and stuff are the best. Thats where she learned it all. Now she is really loving starfall.com. We do it on the weekends. And its free

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
babowes
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Awesome info above momma. I am going to do preschool at home too next year.
babowes
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM
also check out pinterest for art ideas!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)