Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers
My DD is 2 and I don't remember the last time she pooped. Is there something I can do to help her? She keeps saying, "butt butt hurt!" I remember we gave her corn syrup in bottles when she was a baby. But can we do that now or is there something else?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Replies (11-18):
joshlor2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Fiber brownies and a LOT of fluid.
maria1613
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM

This is probably a stupid question, but do you buy fiber brownies, or is it regular brownies that you add fiber to?

Quoting joshlor2:

Fiber brownies and a LOT of fluid.

hwifeandmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

For whatever reason, poop potty training is just scary for some kids.  Stool-softening laxatives are safe for long-term use (as opposed to stimulant laxatives which the body can become dependent on).  Stool softening laxatives just help hold water in the stool to prevent it from getting too dry and hard.  By keeping the stool soft, it also makes it more difficult for a child to deliberately withhold the stool. 

Some good stool-softening laxatives are Miralax, Benefiber, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber Choice, Fiber Gummies, and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural in the BLUE bottle.  My kids are sensitive to flavor & texture, so our preference was Meatmucil's new Clear-and-Natural.  It requires only a very small dose to be effective and is completely flavorless, even in water.   I also liked that it is plant-based (the active ingredient is Inulin, which is from chicory root).

You'll want to use the stool softeners DAILY until your daughter stops withholding her stool.  How much you use is very individual.  The container will give dosing guidelines, but it is safe to use more, if her body needs more. Conversely, if she responds well to the medicine, then you may be able to give her 1/2 dose each day to keep her regulated.

The stool-softening laxatives are good for keeping the stool soft, but if you need to quickly eliminate a backlog of old stool, then you'll want to use something faster-acting.  You can try a pediatric enema, a glycerin suppository (I prefer the Fleet liquid glycerin suppositories over the hard glycerin suppositories you have to hold in place until they dissolve), or a stimulant laxative.  Stimulant laxatives force bowel contractions to eliminate stool.  They are often senna-based products, such as Senekot, Fletcher's or Ex-Lax.  My kids' favorite was the chewable chocolate Ex-Lax squares.  They taste like candy.

Quoting maria1613:

We've been potty training for just over a month now, give or take, so she's in diapers just at nap time and bed time. She pooped in the potty a couple times but it's like she's scared now yet wants to keep trying. I'd like to add, we never force her on the potty so this is just so strange for us

musik16
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM

They have suppositories, BUT; I would recommend lots of fruit juices, apple juice, grape juice, and prune just all help you go poop. Cut out cheese and all white products (bread, rice, ect.). 

If she keeps having problems, and you know she is drinking plenty of water and juice, you may need to contact the doctor. My 12 year old had issues when she was little. We changed her diet a bit and she is better now. I remember when she was around 2 or 3 and hadn't pooped in about two weeks. I was so worried. I had to put suppositories up her rear and that was so not fun. I also found this laxitive for children, it tastes like root beer. You can give her some of that for instant relief.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

If its hurting that bad, and it happens quite often, take her to the doctor!  She might have a hemrroid or something and its causing her to not want to go (very common).  Either way I'd contact the doctor for help.  I know that prunes and prune juice can help, but it sounds like a severe case.

Poor thing, I hope it helps!

Cate1129
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Glycerin suppositories. My pedi recommended them to me when my lo was having the same issues. To prevent it try pear juice, watermelon, honey dew melon, and cantaloupe. These keep my guy regular! Good luck!
PEEK05
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Sorry I don't know. Only one of my kids were constipated and it happened one time during infancy.  She ended up needing an OTC suppository.

2curly
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My son also was constipated when he was potty training.  He would definitely hold it in, which made it harder for him to go (no pun intended).  As per the pediatrician's advice, we tried mirolax and it worked wonders.  It made things easier for him to go and he was less likely to strain.  Once he was regular again, we went back to the potty training.  We had put that on hold until he was more comfortable.  He was around 2 1/2 at the time. Talk to your pediatrician.  We did have to use a suppository once when he did not go for a couple of days, but since he had started the mirolax, he was fine.  good luck.  Poor little one :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN