Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty training longevity- what's the norm?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 37 Replies

It's probably under my nose the answer to this question, but I will ask it anyway, what is the longevity of potty training? What I mean is, I know it takes every child a different amount of time to potty train, but I've been wondering (again) if I'm going about it the wrong way. I've been potty training my 3 1/2yr old son on and off (due to frustrations) since this past summer- that's about 8mos now. All the posts I've read, or advice I've heard have never mentioned how long it actually took them when they did it hard core or the only thing I heard is days or weeks, nothing more than that.

My son has been doing pee pee in the potty wonderfully and is rewarded...but he's still having accidents because he refuses to do poops and once he gets discouraged with that he retracts a bit and has accidents.

I'm just wondering if I should do a cold turkey deal and never put a pull up on him again (right now he's wearing it to bedtime only) or if I still need to be patient. Again, should potty training be taking THIS long?

Thank You!!

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM

idk some it takes a few days others it takes forever. i will tell you this though. we tried training my oldest for over a year and tried everything in the book, and he would do it sometimes and other times pee his pants. and then one day i just let him run around the house with no bottom on. and as soon as i did that, he was potty trained in less than a week.

BoyzBliss
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM

LOL I tried that too. I would leave him naked often during the summer, and he wouldn't care. He would do poops on the floor and be totally fine with it. Of course, he was younger then too. Glad it worked for you :) I know I just have to be patient and trust that one day something is going to snap and he'll be trained. Can't wait!!

Quoting little.worthen:

idk some it takes a few days others it takes forever. i will tell you this though. we tried training my oldest for over a year and tried everything in the book, and he would do it sometimes and other times pee his pants. and then one day i just let him run around the house with no bottom on. and as soon as i did that, he was potty trained in less than a week.

maria1613
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
We're at about 4 or 5 weeks with our dd
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shelhead
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I don't think it should be taking that long. He did very well from the second day and would only have an accident once or twice a week from then on. My son about 7 months later only has occasional pee accidents when he's being stubborn to stop playing. It's not a full on accident because as soon as he realizes it, he stops and runs to the bathroom.  It did take him almost 2 months before he would attempt to poop in the potty and another month before he fully poop trained. We still struggle with pooping because he'll say he needs to poop, but doesn't want to stop whatever he's doing to go. It may be hours before he resigns to going poop, but he won't go in his underwear anymore. 

What are you doing to encourage him to do well. Bribes are fair game. We had to bribe with popsicles for pooping. After a few weeks we backed off the bribes to only giving him a popsicle if he asked for it. Maybe let him take his favorite toys with him to the bathroom or reading a book, etc. Does he wake up dry? As long as the pull up is only at night, that should be fine. Good luck.

ragitty
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Be patient. It is totally normal for a kid to take much longer to poop train. We had problems with ds for a few months, even though he was pottying in the potty great after just one weekend. I don't know what made pooping click for him but all of a sudden it just did. I have heard you can't really night potty train a child and that it's actually a physical development? Idk about that. Ds usually wakes up dry but I put him in pull ups at night just in case. Other than that he's in underwear all day.

XJetX
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I put panties on my DD and she started using the potty. She still wears a diaper at night, but she doesn't have accidents during the day. This started Jan 1st.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM
With ds (2.5 at the time) once we switched completely to underwear (I also struggled to stay on top of it and went back and forth some) he was trained in about 2.5 weeks. We switched dd completely to underwear at about 22 months and she was 80% done in about 1 month and completely day trained in just under 2 months (we've had some night time regression).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoyzBliss
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Did you have any issues with the poop? How did you resolve it?

Quoting bekalynne440:

With ds (2.5 at the time) once we switched completely to underwear (I also struggled to stay on top of it and went back and forth some) he was trained in about 2.5 weeks. We switched dd completely to underwear at about 22 months and she was 80% done in about 1 month and completely day trained in just under 2 months (we've had some night time regression).

BoyzBliss
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Thank you, that is how I feel :( It shouldn't be taking this long when he is doing so great with peeing and having dry undies most of the time. We've been bribing him since the potty training started, saying if he did poops, we would buy him any toy of his liking. He was tempted but that hasn't worked yet. He received some gifts for xmas that he has yet to open and I say, you can open one of them when you poop. He's constantly asking to open and I stick to my statement and yet, nothing. He loves ice pops and I said he can have one- nothing. I mean I think I proposed every bribe that he would like and still nothing.

What he's saying lately is that he doesn't want to do poop on the potty for fear he will be "dreaming!!" wtf does that mean? :( Did he get scared seeing something? I have no idea :(

Quoting Shelhead:

I don't think it should be taking that long. He did very well from the second day and would only have an accident once or twice a week from then on. My son about 7 months later only has occasional pee accidents when he's being stubborn to stop playing. It's not a full on accident because as soon as he realizes it, he stops and runs to the bathroom.  It did take him almost 2 months before he would attempt to poop in the potty and another month before he fully poop trained. We still struggle with pooping because he'll say he needs to poop, but doesn't want to stop whatever he's doing to go. It may be hours before he resigns to going poop, but he won't go in his underwear anymore. 

What are you doing to encourage him to do well. Bribes are fair game. We had to bribe with popsicles for pooping. After a few weeks we backed off the bribes to only giving him a popsicle if he asked for it. Maybe let him take his favorite toys with him to the bathroom or reading a book, etc. Does he wake up dry? As long as the pull up is only at night, that should be fine. Good luck.

1st_time_mom789
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP! DD is 25 months and we have been potty training for a week. She is still having accidents in her big girl undies (pee and poop). I am trying my best not to get discouraged. Hoping this week goes better for her. Hope potty training gets better for you as well.   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN