Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 3 yo will not go in the pool!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 18 Replies
My 3 yo son will not got inane water unless it's to bathe! Web he was about 2 we went on vacation and he loved the water. Next summer he was terrified! I need some help as to what to do to help him feel safe in the water. I won't try swimming class because he will scream the entire time! Help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Maybe try with a wading pool & you getting in? Both of mine like water just not hair washing so I'm not sure.
babygomez
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I don't know, we never went swimming last year. My 4 year old daughter says she doesn't want to go in a pool. Maybe when she's older.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has always loved water but went through a phase of being terrified in the pool. We just kept encouraging him and he got over it.
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

i got a floatie that has for the arms but also goes across the chest and my 2 yr old LOVES it.  they are water babies though and I spend most of the time trying to block them from going into the pool.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM

That sucks. :( Sorry, my kids love water.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

The best thing I did for my son was give him time.  We just didtn' go to the pool that summer.  By the following summer, he was fine and dove right in.......until he broke his arm at the playground and couldn't swim the rest of the summer :/.

BTW: we had him use this to stay afloat: http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Jacket-pounds/dp/B003648OKK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359394942&sr=8-5&keywords=floaties+for+kids

Good luck :)

huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My boys had this problem around this age--whenever we were at a pool that didn't have a big zero-entry area they would just hang out on the steps (i.e. most regular hotel pools).  If I did get them to leave the steps then they would have a complete & total death grip on me, but at least would let me walk around with them.  Around 4 they both started getting more comfortable in "deeper" water (anything that was between their waist & shoulders).  What helped my oldest was having a pair of arm floaties, but what helped my youngest was just wanting to play with his older brother and realizing he was tall enough to move around.

ursy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I would just keep on encouraging him gently but not forcing ... that would only make him back off more.  My boys loved the water when they were young and as adults they don't go near it.  Who would have thought.  I couldn't get them out of the pool/lake and now....

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Ditto here

Quoting PEEK05:

That sucks. :( Sorry, my kids love water.

by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:41 AM

That happened to my daughter too a few years. She is 6 now and fine.

We live in NJ so no swimming in the winter unless we visit Florida. So in the summer she went in. Then we went on vacation to Fla in the winter and she refused bc she got so scared. After a little while with lots of encouragement and holding her she went in and remembered she loved it. Then when summer came, she went through it all again.

I say just let her be. Encourage her. Hold her if necessary but dont force her. Just remind her how fun it is but dont push. She will get there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN