Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

throwing

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi. My 2 yr. old thows his toys around, and throws his wooden blocks around, and could hurt if it lands on you. When I tell him; no dont throw the blocks, he just keeps doing it and laughs.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

so take them away.  problem solved...  he laughs because you don't do anything about it. 

in my house if it gets thrown it ends up on the fridge or in a closet.  end of story.

aydensmom94
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I agree! when he throws it the first time you tell him, No if you throw it again im going to take it away and when he does it again (not if) you take it away. My son is also 2 and hes doing the same thing. but i found this to work wonders!!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

so take them away.  problem solved...  he laughs because you don't do anything about it. 

in my house if it gets thrown it ends up on the fridge or in a closet.  end of story.

Curla711
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I tell my daughter no once and then after that I tell her if she does it again I'm going to throw it away. She does it and I take it and pretend to put it in the garbage. Never gets thrown again. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Take the blocks away and tell him he can have them back when he is ready to behave with them

Gweneveer
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Definitely take away WHATEVER he decides to throw.  He will stop throwing, trust me!  lol

itsm3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM

dd tried to do this so i stopped her hand from throwing them and told her firmly:  do not throw toys.  you must appreciate what you have and you can hurt someone.  do it again, and i will take it away.

if she does it again, i take them away. if she cries then she cries.  when she was that age, i would explain to her again why i took them away and then if she cried more, then she cried more.  kids have to learn!

STVUstudent
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That is because, at 2, it is FUN... he is learning about his body and what it can do, and he is developing motor skills...

Maybe you can try redirection- get a bin, put a target on it, and make it a game... Tommy, we ONLY throw our blocks into the bin... lets see how many points we can score!  Blocks thrown other than at the bin have to go to the naughty spot (or thinking spot, or time out, or whatever you use... ).  My boy has actually put himself IN timeout so he could sit and keep his toys company...  and for th emost part, stopped throwing his toys (except into the toy box)

Marimaru
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I put toys in timeout when they get thrown.  They go in a bin at the top of the closet for a while.

blapier
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If she throws anything, I warn her. If she throws it again I grab it and put it on the counter so she can see it, but can't reach it. That way she knows if she throws anything it will be taken away.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN