Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

sleeping issues

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

my 3 yr old will not sleep all night long she wakes up and comes into our room so her dr had the bright idea take away naptime we did and she got up TWICE so thats not the answer, and hubby wont let me give her melatonin mommy needs sleep especially if i'm gonna go back to work if i decide on melatonin, how much do i give her?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PEEK05
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sorry I don't know. I would ask her pediatrician.

itsm3
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

go back and look at her schedule.... what's it like?  what time is bedtime?  how much sleep is she getting in a 24hr period?  if she's not napping anymore and she's going to bed late, she's overtired.  when kids first transition to no nap, they need to go to bed earlier for the night by at least 30-60mins temporarily until she gets used to the long wake time.  many kids stay at the early bedtime as their sleep distribution will shift to night sleep.  

the waking up and crawling into your bed is also a habit so in order for her not to do that anymore, she has to learn NOT to do that. tell her that the sleep rules will change going forward and when she wakes up, you will walk her back to her room and tuck her in because everyone sleeps in their own bed.... so when she wakes up, quietly take her back to her bed and tuck her in.  don't engage her or turn on the lights.  just be as boring as possible by not talking at all.  you'll have to do this a million time and she'll probalby start crying but after a week or so, she'll learn that you mean it, that she's no l onger supposed to wake up and  will stop waking up.  use a sticker chart for incentive.

and she does NOT need melatonin.  i really don't understand how parents can give this to children unless otherwise specified by their doctor.  melatonin isn't even FDA approved and not for long term use.  children DO know how to sleep properly; they need proper/firm bedtime rules, an age-appropriate bedtime and regular, daily routine...they DONT need sleep aids.....  and  sleep troubles do happen with kids once in a while - their brains are always growing and learning so sleep disturbances are normal.  your child has a habitual wake habit (crawling into bed with you); a habit that can be unlearned.

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

have you ever had her iron levels checked? iron plays a huge role in sleep...we JUST got DS1 to start sleeping through the night. He had his adenoids and tonsils out right after Thanksgiving and while it helped it didn't fully take away the problem...they checked his iron and it was extremely low. He is on iron supplements and now sleeps from 7 pm (his bedtime is 8 but he wants to go to bed at 7) and sleeps until around 6-7 in the morning.

Gweneveer
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM

She wakes up and comes into your room...and then what?  Does she stay awake?  Or does she go back to sleep?

mariesmama
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting Gweneveer:

She wakes up and comes into your room...and then what?  Does she stay awake?  Or does she go back to sleep?

she goes back to sleep in my bed i'm getting sick of being hit or kicked

mariesmama
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Quoting itsm3:

go back and look at her schedule.... what's it like?  what time is bedtime?  how much sleep is she getting in a 24hr period?  if she's not napping anymore and she's going to bed late, she's overtired.  when kids first transition to no nap, they need to go to bed earlier for the night by at least 30-60mins temporarily until she gets used to the long wake time.  many kids stay at the early bedtime as their sleep distribution will shift to night sleep.  

the waking up and crawling into your bed is also a habit so in order for her not to do that anymore, she has to learn NOT to do that. tell her that the sleep rules will change going forward and when she wakes up, you will walk her back to her room and tuck her in because everyone sleeps in their own bed.... so when she wakes up, quietly take her back to her bed and tuck her in.  don't engage her or turn on the lights.  just be as boring as possible by not talking at all.  you'll have to do this a million time and she'll probalby start crying but after a week or so, she'll learn that you mean it, that she's no l onger supposed to wake up and  will stop waking up.  use a sticker chart for incentive.

and she does NOT need melatonin.  i really don't understand how parents can give this to children unless otherwise specified by their doctor.  melatonin isn't even FDA approved and not for long term use.  children DO know how to sleep properly; they need proper/firm bedtime rules, an age-appropriate bedtime and regular, daily routine...they DONT need sleep aids.....  and  sleep troubles do happen with kids once in a while - their brains are always growing and learning so sleep disturbances are normal.  your child has a habitual wake habit (crawling into bed with you); a habit that can be unlearned.

when she gets up tonight, i'm gonna take her potty and tuck her back into her bed

Gweneveer
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to be persistant and keep putting her back in her own bed.  Every time.  Eventually she will just stay there.  It will be inconveneint for you at the time, but effective in the long run!

Quoting mariesmama:

Quoting Gweneveer:

mariesmama
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

we'll try tonight when she wakes up i'll take her potty and then tuck her back in her bed

Quoting Gweneveer:

You have to be persistant and keep putting her back in her own bed.  Every time.  Eventually she will just stay there.  It will be inconveneint for you at the time, but effective in the long run!

Quoting mariesmama:

Quoting Gweneveer:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I agree with the others. You just have to keep putting her back to bed. Hope it goes well tonight
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN