Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Food contact skin irritation

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

I figured I would share this, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been in this situation.

I've had eczema on my hands and feet since I was a tot myself, and I'm pretty sure I got it from my dad. My DD now gets contact dermatitis when she eats acidic foods, usually sauces. (Ketchup, dressing, tomato sauce, OJ, etc.) For those of you who are wondering what this is: on the occasion we are unable to wipe DD's face quickly when she gets stuff all over it (i.e. she's still eating,) when we finally do wipe it off, the skin underneath is bright red like sunburn and splotchy like camoflage. So far, nothing has been scarier than being in this situation and realizing we have no benadryl or cortizone cream in the house. My advice: keep both in the house at all times, just in case, especially if someone in your family has a food allergy.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Gweneveer
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

tfs, bump!

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

it's referred to by most people as oral allergy syndrome, it's not systemic like other food allergies, it's just where th food contacts skin/mouth.  For most it never develops into anything more because the digestive juices of the stomach break down whatever it was that was first reacted to.

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Our ydd has that reaction to cinnamon and all bottled bbq sauce.  

corrinacs
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM

My son has this!  Unfortunately, he does have severe food allergies, so we can never be too careful with his condition.  He gets that with tomatoes.  At school, I tell them to give him benadryl if his face turns red regardless of what it is and to watch him for at least 30 minutes afterwards to be sure it doesn't turn anaphalacitc.

But otherwise, it doesn't bother him too badly.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN