Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What kind of park is this?!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, so every Tuesday myself and another one of my mom friends go to a local neighborhood park. The park itself is wonderful, lots of good playground equipment, picnic tables and plenty of shade from the Florida sun! But unfortunately some of the other park patrons are allowing their children to do unsanitary and dangerous things. For example, bringing potties to the park and dumping them there! YUCK!, Allowing their kids to climb and put their feet in the water fountain, running around with dirty diapers, going across the street to play (no older then 5!). The children seem to have no boundaries. To me its not just a parenting style to promote independence, its a lack of attention to inappropriate behaviors that everyone visiting the park is forced to witness. 

Normally my friend and I turn our cheek to this but today really upset and disturbed me. One of these women allowed their son, probably about 3 years old, to run around and play on the play equipment naked!!!! This is when I quickly got my son and left. Having a child slide down slides naked, climb up ladders and sit on the play area totally naked seems like a health concern, among many other things! If you were me would you say something to the park officials, the mothers or just continue to ignore it???

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gweneveer
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I would have been so pissed off to see that.  Seriously, where did peoples class go?  

I think I would have said something to the mom, definitely.  Then I would be sending an email to the park officials.  I have actually done both in the past!  

I saw a mom tell her 2 yr old dd to take down her pullups and pee right in front of the play structure at my local park.  RIGHT where kids would be playing....in the damn mulch!!  I was livid.  I picked up my dd, told the mother she was totally out of line for teaching her dd to pee where other kids play.  

Then I emailed park officials about their inability to keep the park clean.  There is trash littered everywhere, and I saw the h.s. kids that are supposed to come around and clean up the park just come in and empty barrels, not picking up a pc of trash around the park!  The next week the park was being cleaned on a daily basis.  Sometimes they just need to be reminded, unfortunately!

bloomsr
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Dumping potties??

At any rate- that is crazy! Absolutely disgusting! I could not imagine letting my kid go on anything in a public place naked!! Grody!!
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I would definitely mention this to park officials.  Holy crap, that is the grossest thing I've ever heard!  Human waste being near that!  WHen it rains, where do you think its going!!!!

I would be really leery about taking my child there again!

itsamadfrenzy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Okay, glad I'm not the only "crazy" one who thinks this is NASTY!!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM

the naked is gross but the potty dumping (and using for that matter) is insane.  i would definitely email the parks department and complain.

SarahSuzyQ
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I would complain, and I would find another park.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

eww! naked?! why would you even think about something like that?? 

ToolArmy066
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Where in florida is this park so I don't go there, that's disgusting.
MooreBoysMama
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM
It amazes how many people can be filthy pigs. SMH....
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

wow. that's gross. I've never seen people do any of the things you described. I don't think I'd bring my kids to play there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)