Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

He peepee's fine on the potty but fights pooping on the potty

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 3.5 closer to 4 year old fights pooping on the potty. I don't know what to do. He fights pooping in his diaper too so I think it's the pooping he is afraid of not where he is pooping. What can we do? I feel so bad for him but I don't know how to help him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
My dd was the same way for a while. She was so scared to poop on the potty. However, she also had constipation issues and once that was corrected she did/does fine. I would rule out constipation issues as to the reason not to poop. I would talk to his pedi if its been days since he pooped.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Serenitymom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM

My son refuses to poop in the potty (Just turned three) although he pees just fine. I went straight to underwear for him and did ok for a little while. Now he just completely refuses. There was one time last month he pooped in the potty and I gave him a treat and clapped for him and everything. Still never did it again. I've even tried running him to the potty while he is straining, hasn't been working. He has consipation from time to time, but it seems like he passes normally most of the time. My son is just plain stubborn! I'll have to just keep trying with my son, hoping one day he'll get it, hopefully it'll pass in time. Been four months of potty training....

Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I don-t know I'm in the same boat. The more I try to get him to do it, the more he freaks out and fights it. I'm hoping one day he'll decide it's not scary and just do it. sigh.
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:37 PM

He could be constipated. That makes it hurt when they poop, so then they do not want to go at all. My son has had constipation issues his whole life.

Smilely08
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Mine is the same way, and he does not have constipation issues.
debramommyof4
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Mine had diarhea everytime we potty trained and since the last time we potty trained he never poop trained again.  He has had constipation with it at times from trying not to poop his pants now he pulls off his underwear and poops in the floor rather than put it in the toilet.

KelleyLitty
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
He is constipated because he holds it in trying not to go then finally will go after about 2-3 days. But is actively holding it in. We tried Mirilax for a while but that just have him loose poops. That just makes a mess. I guess he will just have to figure it out. Sigh.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Definitely try Miralax.  He's scared cuz it's uncomfortable.  Start with maybe 1-2tsp dissolved in some water at breakfast and see if that softens things up in a day or 2.  Also, water, water, water!

mestiza_07
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My ds was like that, he's finally pooped train it toOk him until he was 4. We gave him miralax every other day. We would have to catch him tryin to poop in his undies and sit him on the toilet. After a few times he realized that poopin on the potty was easier then holding it in and goin in his pants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Use stool softening laxatives DAILY until he's past his pooping fears.  The stool softeners will make it more difficult for him to withhold his stool as well as reducing any constipation.  Some good ones are Miralax, Benefiber, Fiber Choice, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber gummies, and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural with Inulin powder.  If a whole dose of stool softeners is too much, cut back to 1/2 dose, but make sure he gets it every day to keep him regular.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN