Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your toddlers have a hard time entertaining themselves?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have a four year old daughter, two year old son, and a nine month old baby.

The four and two year old are a lot different to the way I remember being when I was young.  Then, and now, I have always been very efficient at occupying my own space and entertaining myself. My kids, on the other hand, can't seem to entertain themselves very much at all.  Is this normal?

I am a stay at home Mom; I am with them all day and when I'm not doing stuff with them they will usually start following me around looking for me to entertain them.  I encourage them to "go play" "use your imagination" "go be kids"!!!

I mean, I play with them quit a bit - but if I want a break to have a cup of coffee, or wash the dishes or just chill, they start freaking out.

How can I remedy this?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not sure. I'm a sahm too but my kids have always been extremely independent. From day 1 they just got put down when I had stuff to do. We play when its time and they play alone when I have stuff to do. I guess my advice is just get your stuff done or have your coffee and let them handle it. Chill during nap time or if they don't nap, impose separate quiet time in their rooms while the baby naps so you have total quiet for a bit every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

play hide and seek and you be the seeker and enjoy your cup of coffee! Occupy their time near you such as giving them clay, paint, a puzzle, stuff to make crafts, etc that you are in a nearby room but still able to do other things.  Dont entertain them but give them something that will entertain them.  Mine LOVE the sandbox and I just kick up my heels and read a magazine while they play and a sit at a nearby table.  I also made a ball pit with a plastic pool and the ball pit balls. 

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is 2.5 and goes to daycare. There are times he can entertain himself for 15-20 minutes with trains and there are other times where he wants me right under him all day. When I need to get something done like laundry, dishes, just need a break, quite frankly, I'm just honest with him. I'll tell him that I need to go _____ and will be in the ______ (room) and I will come back and play when I'm done. If I need a auick break, once he's occupied with something, I go sit down. If he comes to get me, I tell him give mommy just a few minutes. I'm a little bit tired, but will come play. There's a 50/50 chance he'll accept that answer vs taking me by the hand and trying to pull me out of the chair.

He gets a few times throughout the day for TV time. I try to take full advantage of those 20 minute segments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)