Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Picky Eater Help

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 7 Replies
hey ladies my 15 month old dd is definatly a picky eater...shes HATES any kind of meat and all sauces and spices....she loves fruits,veggies,and breads/grains like granola and cereal... Do yall have any recipes to cater to her likes??? please help......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I have no clue. Good luck bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

It is not unusual for a kid that young to prefer bland foods (no spices), food that is not mixed up (no casseroles, sauces), and to not care for meat.  When you are cooking dinner, just leave some of it less seasoned, and sauce free.

As for the no meat, that will not kill her... she needs less protein than most people think- seek out non-meat proteins (beans, tofu, protein fortified pasta, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, etc) if you are worried, and just offer her a well ballanced meal with plenty of non-meat alternatives.  Quinoa is a grain that is very high in complex proteins... and has a nice flavor... it can be made into a salad, into patties, into a hot cereal, a hot or cold side dish... nice palate for adding flavors.  I use th eorganic Red Mill brand- it is pre-rinsed, not at all bitter... 

With all th estuff you say she does eat and enjoy, I would not consider her picky...

PEEK05
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I wouldn't cater to her likes.  Just offer what you eat.  If she eats, great.  If not, oh well.  Most pediatricians would tell you the same thing, as long as her diet doesn't suffer for it and she remains healthy.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

this is very common.  meat is a big one as it's usually a texture thing.  meat takes some effort and a lot of kids don't like the toughness of it.  both of my kids went thru various phases. 

quite honestly, we don't cater our menu around what they are eating this week or the next.  if I did i would be eating PB&J all day, every day!  i make what i make and they choose to eat it or they don't. it can take something like 18-20 attempts (don't quote me on this, it's been a while since i looked it up) for kids to turn onto a particular food so we just keep trying various things knowing that at some point their tastes will shift.  they are 3 1/2 nd 6 now and eat probably 95% of what I make because we just kept at it.  for the meals they reject, i always make sure there is a healthy side that i know they will eat so they have at least something.  breakfasts and lunches are whatever they ask for.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I agree with Luvmybabies22, as picky as my youngest is, we don't make anything different for her, but we do eat green peas and green beans quite a lot with dinner because I do believe in serving something I KNOW she'll eat, since 10 months we've been picky, but in the past 4 months (she's 22 months) we've picked up green beans, green peas, purple hull peas, carrots, pork chops and rice (all things she wouldn't touch at a year old)

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I just kept offering meat over and over again. I think it took 25 times before he would eat chicken. Now he asks for chicken at least 4 times a week. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM

it's funny too, last night we had homemade chicken and dumplings, green beans, and salad...none of which she would have eaten a year ago.  Last night she ate all the chicken and green beans, didn't want any salad and told me she didn't want any dumplings, but then decided after watching all of us eat them that she would try them, the first time she spit it back out, walked around asking for bites off everyone's plate and refusing to open her mouth when offered, then came back to her plate and ate all her own dumplings...who knows what goes through their heads.

quite frequently she'll eat things not in her normal repitoire  if she can sit in your lap and eat off of your plate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)