Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my daughter is afraid of everything!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:45 AM
  • 7 Replies
My 4 year old DD is terrified of eveything! I have 2 older daughters and they were never like this. I know its normal for kids to have fears, but this is extreme. She saw glitter on the floor in our downstairs bathroom and refuses to go back in there. I was talking to my mother about the leg on the couch and my daughter was terrified to go near the couch because it has "legs". She is afraid of shadows, candles, even the nightlight in the bathroom. Anyone else have a LO with extreme fears?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Oh wow.  You are right, this is rather extreme.  This is something I would bring up with her pediatrician.  I wonder if its less "fear" and more "anxiety".  

Good luck!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My DD went thru a phase where she was scared shitless of the bath.  There were crumbs in there once and she screamed like she was on fire and cowered in the corner until I got them all out.  After that, every bath as a screaming fit but she moved thru it.  She also had this thing called "shirt" that she was terrified of.  There was one in her room, at the grandparent's house, a friend's house, etc. The item she pointed to was always different so the things had no correlation and we couldn't figure out what it was.  She doesn't talk about that anymore.  It was so weird. 

jen6807
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM
My Dd is 5 1/2 and she is really scared of everything too. I have to walk her to the bathroom and wait outside the door with the door cracked. She will not play in her bedroom or sleep in her bedroom she is terrified so she sleeps in the living room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole-momof4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM
That sounds a lot like my dd. She used to be terrified of "elbow". We don't know what it was but it was bad. She would cry and run screaming about this elbow. How long did it last with your dd?

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My DD went thru a phase where she was scared shitless of the bath.  There were crumbs in there once and she screamed like she was on fire and cowered in the corner until I got them all out.  After that, every bath as a screaming fit but she moved thru it.  She also had this thing called "shirt" that she was terrified of.  There was one in her room, at the grandparent's house, a friend's house, etc. The item she pointed to was always different so the things had no correlation and we couldn't figure out what it was.  She doesn't talk about that anymore.  It was so weird. 

nicole-momof4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Thank you ladies! I will definitely be talking to her pedi when she goes next month.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

it started with her just pointing to things and saying "shirt".  the fear part of it was pretty brief (maybe around 2 1/2.  she's 3 1/2 now).  maybe a month.  she occassionally brings up "shirt" again but just matter-of-factly.  we hoped that as her language progressed she could clearly tell us what it was but she still just calls these unrelated items "shirt" so it's a mystery we'll probably never solve. 

Quoting nicole-momof4:

That sounds a lot like my dd. She used to be terrified of "elbow". We don't know what it was but it was bad. She would cry and run screaming about this elbow. How long did it last with your dd?

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I wish I had advice. As a child, I was fearful of everything.I wouldn't use one of our bathrooms and things of that nature. As an adult, i'm still fairly fearful and suffer from anxiety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN