Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Age appropriate MAGNETS

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello ladies! Bf and I bought DS (17 months) a set of glow in the dark letter/number magnets from our local grocery store a few weeks ago and he can't get enough of them. We have a stainless steel fridge but the sides still work with magnets, so both sides are his magnet canvases. Well a few days ago my mom found the magnet on the floor OUT of the plastic letter, meaning they're hardcore choking hazards because those magnets must be less then a half inch long. I threw them all away immediately. I guess I could've plunked all the magnets out myself and gorilla glued them back inside the plastic letters but I didn't wanna do all that unless the risk of them falling out would be completely gone an I knew that wasn't the case.

I was going to get the manufacturer name off the package next time were at the store and make sure I call them to inform them of their choking hazard product. But I didn't because I realized those damn things probably had an age limit anywhere from 3-6+, so I'd sound like the jackass calling them to complain about my not-even-1-year-old possibly choking on their product that's made for older kids, not my kid.

SoOOoO question is: where do I find age appropriate magnets? Ones that don't have detachable micro magnets? There has to be some SOMEwhere for his age group. I mean, magnets are a fun thing for lots of kids. My parents bought me a magnet everywhere we went when I was young and the fridge at my dads house is still stocked from top to bottom and side to side with magnets of every shape, animal, color, city, state, letter, car etc. BUT I can't just go buying magnets because I need toddler appopriatw magnets! And most of those souvenir, collector, ans grocery store-magnets don't come with a guarantee that the magnets won't fall off and choke a kid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Toys R Us, letter magnets

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Leap frog has a few magnet sets. I have the fridge farm and the fridge phonics with all the letters. The magnets are enclosed in the product so they can't reasonably fall out. Ds lives both toys
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Melissa & Doug has good magnet sets - the magnets are wooden with full coverage magnet on the back (so not 2 separate pieces that come apart). We have dinosaur & fish ones from them, DS puts them on our dishwasher & fridge & they have fallen down & never have broken or come apart.

Michaels often has a 40% off coupon & they carry the magnets (there are letter & number ones, too). That's how I get them cheaper
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Ok so michaels is where I can get them?? Thanks so much those sound perfect!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Melissa & Doug has good magnet sets - the magnets are wooden with full coverage magnet on the back (so not 2 separate pieces that come apart). We have dinosaur & fish ones from them, DS puts them on our dishwasher & fridge & they have fallen down & never have broken or come apart.

Michaels often has a 40% off coupon & they carry the magnets (there are letter & number ones, too). That's how I get them cheaper

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yeah my son has the farm and the car wash ones but I didn't see the letter ones when I went so I'm gonna have to search for them.. Just like toys r us I'm guessing right? Thanks so much, I'm excited at how excited hell be when he gets new magnets !

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Leap frog has a few magnet sets. I have the fridge farm and the fridge phonics with all the letters. The magnets are enclosed in the product so they can't reasonably fall out. Ds lives both toys

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I believe they come in a tub now. With the thing that says the letter as the lid. I'm pretty sure they are still magnets. We have a really old one and sadly it is Canadian so df hates it. But ours is just the electronic part and the letters.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Yeah my son has the farm and the car wash ones but I didn't see the letter ones when I went so I'm gonna have to search for them.. Just like toys r us I'm guessing right? Thanks so much, I'm excited at how excited hell be when he gets new magnets !

Quoting Firenygirl180:

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I have the leap frog learning magnets. Give a minute and ill take a picture.
queen_k0302
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We have had some for about 8 yrs. Lol
Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM
We have this too and the word whammer (makes.3 letter words) both with just the capital letters. We also have the farm set. My 13 month old likes the farm and single letter set. The biggest problem i have is the magnets keep.disappearing under the fridge but they are bigger then other magnets. We have had ours for at least 8 years too. I originally bought them to use with my clients with developmental disabilities and my 4 yr- old used them too. They are very sturdy.

Quoting queen_k0302:

We have had some for about 8 yrs. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN