Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Night Time Potty training ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ok my son has using the potty during the day down fine no accidents and he loves wearing underwear, what do you ladies recommend as the best thing for night training? He knows until he can get night time down he doesn't wear underwear to bed but he don't want pull ups he says they are diapers and babies wear diapers and he is NOT a baby. He fights having to put on a pull up at night. Is there anything out there that works like pulls ups but look more like real underwear? FYI My son is five has been trained for almost 2 months daytime still working on nighttime. I know he is older but he is special needs and has a sensory disorder that interfeared with training.

UPDATE: I took him with me to the store and let him pick, we ended up with 2 packs of goodnites.He saw the Spiderman ones (the last pack they had of them) and said look mommy Spiderman, I want the Spiderman ones. So we got those and the employees were just then restocking that section of the store and he picked out a big pack of the regular goodnites because they had Chopters (Helicopters) and Monster trucks on them. So now he wants to put them on at night and they fit more like underwear and less like diapers and he loves that. I want to say thanks to all of you who helped.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CindyAS2008
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I don't know if he'd be down for it, or if it would even work, buttttt.... you could put a pullup on over his underwear just in case he has an accident...

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I doubthe would gofor that I even get the pull up out of the bag at bedtime I hear NO mommy I'm not a baby I want my underwears not diapers

Quoting CindyAS2008:

I don't know if he'd be down for it, or if it would even work, buttttt.... you could put a pullup on over his underwear just in case he has an accident...

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing is that you cannot night train a child.  Their brain needs to release a hormone that slows urine production at night.  This happens when it happens. 

Unless you want to do a lot of laundry, I would sit him down and explain that he IS a big boy and wearing a pullup at night isn't because of anything he's doing or not doing, his body just isn't ready yet.  Just like he can't force himself to be as tall as Daddy tomorrow, he can't force this either.  Once he's waking up dry for a few weeks consistently, move to underwear.

I also like the pull up over the underwear idea.  Maybe after you explain that it's out of his control, he'll be more willing to compromise with underwear AND a pull up.

emarin77
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

You can try night time pullups with characters on them or just use a night sheet used for protecting the bed.

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM

he needs 4t 5t and they dont make night time pull ups in his size I think I may take him with me give him options and let him pick then mabey he will wear them

Quoting emarin77:

You can try night time pullups with characters on them or just use a night sheet used for protecting the bed.

StacyO722
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Night time potty use isn't something you can teach. There's a chemical that the body produces that wakes us up when our bladder is full. If he doesn't have enough of that chemical yet, he won't wake up. Patience is the best thing.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My son had a stomach virus so we had to take him out of undies and into pull ups. Oh he cried because he thought they were diapers. I showed him how they looked lje big boy undies and we even called them special big boy undies for when you have diarrhea. He bought it and we got through it. Maybe you can tell him something similar, but related to bed time. 

My son has incredible bladder control, so I don't know what to do for night time training unless you get up during the night to take him to the potty.

babypinkmms
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

My son uses good nights for night time and they make dispoable bed pads if he is that insistant on wearing underwear. 

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM

GoodNights pullups do look more like underwear than traditional pullups.  You can also try BedwettingStore.com for washable absorbent underpants (they hold about 8-oz liquid, more with a booster pad). http://bedwettingstore.com/child-washable-bedtime-pant.html  I've never tried the reusable ones, so I don't know how well they work.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has a book called "Waking Up Dry" that discusses the various causes of bedwetting and what can be done about it, if anything.  Check your local library for a copy.  It's written in a style for parent & child to read it together.  It might help your son to realize that a lot of kids his age still wet the bed. 

Quoting babypinkmms:

My son uses good nights for night time and they make dispoable bed pads if he is that insistant on wearing underwear. 

Mdmooch
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

How about plastic pants?  My son wears underwear and I put those over in case he goes in his pants then I don't have to clean up pee.  They are cloth on the inside and look like underwear, just plastic on the outside.  I haven't tried them at night, but he had a few accidents during the day and it kept everything dry.  Good luck!  Hope you find something that works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)