Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Night Time Potty training ***UPDATE***

Ok my son has using the potty during the day down fine no accidents and he loves wearing underwear, what do you ladies recommend as the best thing for night training? He knows until he can get night time down he doesn't wear underwear to bed but he don't want pull ups he says they are diapers and babies wear diapers and he is NOT a baby. He fights having to put on a pull up at night. Is there anything out there that works like pulls ups but look more like real underwear? FYI My son is five has been trained for almost 2 months daytime still working on nighttime. I know he is older but he is special needs and has a sensory disorder that interfeared with training.

UPDATE: I took him with me to the store and let him pick, we ended up with 2 packs of goodnites.He saw the Spiderman ones (the last pack they had of them) and said look mommy Spiderman, I want the Spiderman ones. So we got those and the employees were just then restocking that section of the store and he picked out a big pack of the regular goodnites because they had Chopters (Helicopters) and Monster trucks on them. So now he wants to put them on at night and they fit more like underwear and less like diapers and he loves that. I want to say thanks to all of you who helped.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
No idea. My son just randomly stopped having accidents at night around his fourth birthday. A huge part of night training is physiological so there's not a lot you can do. We are just fortunate DS was young. You could try the goodnights bed pads rather than pull ups.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I don't know. I just put panties on my daughter at night at the same time as day and she did it all at once.  Here's a bump.

emarin77
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Purchase Good Nights with super hero characters.  They look like underpants.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

GoodNight pullups are for bigger kids and look more like underpants.

Quoting XandersMomma07:

he needs 4t 5t and they dont make night time pull ups in his size I think I may take him with me give him options and let him pick then mabey he will wear them

Quoting emarin77:

You can try night time pullups with characters on them or just use a night sheet used for protecting the bed.

conejoazul
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

look on Etsy.com for some mommy made cloth pull-ups that have an absorbant crotch liner and PUL backing. Or if you are crafty, Ladder Hill Design ( http://www.ladderhilldesign.com/ ) sells a pattern for toddler underwear (Tinkle Time Pocker Trainer ) with absorbancy that you can sew yourself.

ToolArmy066
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I don't know if it will work for you but what I did is every couple hours get him up and just put him on the potty to pee. After a while he'll start holding it for longer periods of time so you won't have to do it so frequently. My son is 2 and very rarly has an accident in bed, maybe twice since I started. That's what my mom used to do and she had 11 kids so lol. Also my son usually wakes up now if he has to pee and I haven't gotten him up yet, and I didn't do the pull up thing at all. Hopeflully I helped good luck!! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I don't think staying dry at night is something you can really train. My son was staying dry at night before I started potty training. (he was only 16 months when he was staying dry 12+ hours. I know I got lucky!)

Mommy1022526
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I'd go with diapers all the way.

aj2011
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now I'm trying to do the same with my son. I run him to the bathroom when I hear his cry. He goes pee and then goes back to sleep. He is willing to use the pull ups though at night. I know not much help, but waking up to take him to the bathroom works for us.

CafeMom Tickers
LML1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM

It depends how deep he's sleeping. If he's a deep sleeper he may not know if he's peeing or not. No control over the situation. Our pediatrician recommended us not to push underwear at night. Don't feel bad. I'm in the same pool. My dd still wears a pull up at night, just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)