Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Frustrated with the Nuk!! Suggestions?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have been trying to get my 2 year old (he will be 3 in April) off of his nuk.  My 5 year old never had a problem with letting go of it.  I just stopped giving it to him and he was fine.  My 2 year old will not nap without it at all and will wake up now at least 5 times during the night if he doesn't have it.  I need my sleep too and cannot keep getting up with him.  He does not have it during the day at all when he is awake, it's only nap and bed time.  Any suggestions?  He does have a blanket too but that does not seem to help him by having that even though he loves that too. 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Last night was our first paci-free night. DS is almost. 29 months and has only been using for sleep time too. I've tried bribing with everything with no results. He wasn't thrilled last night and bed time took about an hour and half and he finally went to sleep in our bed. I wasn't planning on taking it away, but he accidentally dropped in the toilet....I just kept reminding him that it was dirty and the garbage man had to take it.   Good luck!

farm_mom03
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I have been told to clip a little off the end a little at a time till they just give up on it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

we are a cold turkey house.  making a change like this sometimes requires a bit of sacrifice on our part as the parents...

once it's gone and not coming back, he'll adjust.  he knows you are going to give it to him if he drives you crazy enough so he amps it up.  just throw them away and be done with it.  kids are very adaptable.

when my son threw his binkies away at 3 he had one restless night and was fine after that.  his naps did suffer for about a month but we kept our routine the same every day and I got those back on track eventually.  He's 6 now and still naps probably 5 days a week!

Marimaru
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We took my daughter's away when we moved her into her 'big girl room'.  I told her that big girls don't need binkies, and she can't have it in her new room.  She asked for a it a couple of times after that, and I told her no, and that was it.

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM
just take it away ,,wen he goes all night wth out it reward him.
ragitty
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My cousin had her daughter put all her binkies in a bag that she got to decorate herself and give it to the binky fairy. The binky fairy took all of them and left her a barbie. She was only a few months older than your ds at the time and she was obsessed with binkies at the time. I just took it away at 13 months and it wasn't an issue.

XandersMomma07
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:34 PM

My son had his until 18 months he was like your son we cut a small piece off the end and when he wouldsuck it it would go flat and not puff back up after that he was done with it but he had more than one binky so we had to cut them all

kflemino22
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I like this idea.  We have not given in and given it back to him.  Just slowly going insane with lack of sleep and no naps which means REALLY crabby from about 5:00pm on.

Quoting KRIZZ25:

just take it away ,,wen he goes all night wth out it reward him.

kflemino22
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for all the awesome ideas.  Tonight he only came out once when we put him to bed, so we will see if he stays or not in there for the night.  We plan on not giving it back either way (I have them all hidden where he cannot see or reach and I told him that they broke so we had to throw them away).  Hoping that tonight goes better.  Then we have to work on getting naps back again.

TerriAnne2606
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The pacifier fairy came and gave all ours away to kids who needed them more than DD did.  She was sad, but it worked.  Sometimes you just gotta outsmart them (I know - not easy).  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN