Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special Needs pre school question

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have an interview screening for services for my toddlers special needs preschool on the 25th of Feb but I can not find anything about what to expect in the interview. What do they look at, ask, need? I called and left three messages today but still no return call.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3lilmonsters88
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM
They look at the services the child needs and they set up an iep. Your child may qualify for actual preschool or they may only qualify for private services. In my state your child has to be behind in 2 or more areas before they place them in a classroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat940
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM
They will probably ask about what milestones they have or have not met. They will ask about hearin or vision checks. Any diagnosis' you might have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
model1000mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Well he was referred their by his therapists. He can't talk. They have been working with him for the last 10 months (since his 2nd birthday) trying to get him to talk. Would this help us get more services? I am having such a hard time getting anyone (even his Pediatrician) to help me get him services.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

They look at the services the child needs and they set up an iep. Your child may qualify for actual preschool or they may only qualify for private services. In my state your child has to be behind in 2 or more areas before they place them in a classroom.

model1000mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

He can hear but can not talk at all. He signs. The therapists have worked hard to teach him how to sign and us too. This last 10 months have been extremely hard. No one knows why he cant talk.

JCKitten87
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Have they already done the developmental screenings? That is a main thing to expect, oh and forms for you to fill out about each child's skills and such. My daughter is in her second year of special education preschool. It has helped her so much! She will starting main stream kindergarten next school year too, with an IEP of course
Cassidysmom611
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM

We just went to a meeting for my DD she will be starting school in March at our integrated preschool she just got an IEP and they went over all the notes from her early intervention, and doctors. However, my DD does have an autism diagnosis

Has your lo been seen by a developmental peditrican?

3lilmonsters88
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I mean my oldest was nonverbal and had severe developmental and cognitive delays and he was placed in a classroom at 3. If he has had proper testing done through his therapists then they shouldn't need to do anything more. Just make sure you have the therapist reports and stuff.

Quoting model1000mom:

Well he was referred their by his therapists. He can't talk. They have been working with him for the last 10 months (since his 2nd birthday) trying to get him to talk. Would this help us get more services? I am having such a hard time getting anyone (even his Pediatrician) to help me get him services.

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
model1000mom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Yes he had that done 10 months ago which is why he is in therapy. OT and ST. He is 6 months developementally delayed but they said his speech should have been here by now. So they recommended pre-school

Quoting JCKitten87:

Have they already done the developmental screenings? That is a main thing to expect, oh and forms for you to fill out about each child's skills and such. My daughter is in her second year of special education preschool. It has helped her so much! She will starting main stream kindergarten next school year too, with an IEP of course

JCKitten87
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM
My daughter has also had speech since she was 2 and didn't actually talk till almost 4 and at almost 5 she still has a lot of issues. The school provides speech therapy 5 times a week. 3 at school and twice at home. But she can verbally express wants and needs now. and her therapists are working very hard with her on conversation skills. Sometimes I felt like seriously breaking down back then. My daughter's temperament has seriously changed since she has been able to express her self thou.

Quoting model1000mom:

He can hear but can not talk at all. He signs. The therapists have worked hard to teach him how to sign and us too. This last 10 months have been extremely hard. No one knows why he cant talk.

JCKitten87
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM
How old is he? I think the class room setting is what has helped my daughter so much. When she started she was almost 2 years behind

Quoting model1000mom:

Yes he had that done 10 months ago which is why he is in therapy. OT and ST. He is 6 months developementally delayed but they said his speech should have been here by now. So they recommended pre-school

Quoting JCKitten87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)