Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

2 year old poops on the floor at naptime, is otherwise potty trained

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

My darling daughter is potty trained, goes to bed w/o a dipe, wears big girl underwear, and is consciously aware of the need to use the restroom, she will stop in the middle of something fun and tell me she has to go, she holds it until we find a restroom.  But during naptime, sometimes, she poops on the floor, smears it everywhere, attempts to cover it up, and then wipes her hands on a stuffed animal.  I don't know what to do.  What I have tried is talking to her, offering her a diaper, time out (completely ineffective)spanking her bottom (three swats with my hand, not excessive or out of anger)(somewhat effective), talking to her some more, and I make her throw away the toys that she gets poop on.  I get her the bag, she picks up the toys and throws them away.  What else is there??

CafeMom Tickersbig smile miniCafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KRIZZ25
i wish my heart would just stop.
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
maybie put her potty seat ,wipes,in her room wen she goes down for nap..
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

you shouldn't punish over potty training issues... especially not a 2 year old who is learning and experimenting.

the poop smearing can be a sensory issue.  not necessarily something she needs OT for but still sensory.  my oldest niece did it but outgrew it. 

you may consider just putting her in a diaper.  don't ask, just do it.  the good news is that you know she won't be doing this at 15 so it's a phase.

SavanaF.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hubs: "How do you know she won't be doing it at 15?  Maybe it will be a fave pasttime by then."

lmao..  so yeah, I disagree though, because she isn't learning at this point, she has pretty much mastered potty training.  I like the potty in the room idea though, I will try that.  Time to break out the ol potty chair she hasn't used in 10 months now. 

CafeMom Tickersbig smile miniCafeMom Tickers

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:11 PM

you can try it but it's been shown time and time again that punishing over potty training isn't effective and can actually set you back.  she's still VERY young and although you think she's not learning anymore, she is. 

you may try to figure out why she's doing it.  is she constipated and scared to poop on the potty?  is it attention seeking?  is it a sensory thing that makes her like "coloring" with the poop? 

CwgrlMama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM
There tends to be a regression at some point in time after training is done. When my 5 yo did this (no painting thankfully), I offered him a diaper whenever he needed one. You don't necessarily have to go back to a diaper, but may be if you don't think of her as completely finished, it may help. Good luck!! I hope you find something that will work for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM

DS pooped in his floor 1 time...no playing in it, but came to get me. I put him on the potty and as I walked by his bathroom with the poop I'm tissue, I asked him if he'd ever seen mommy or daddy poop in the floor. When he said no, I told him he was a big boy and he should poop on the potty like mommy and daddy. I was so ticked off, but Itrief to stay positive.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Put a potty in her room? Explain the rules again and dang! Not shut her door at naptime, honestly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Bump!

SavanaF.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

thx Bella!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)