Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

The potty excuse

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is out of pull ups for sleeping as of about 6 weeks ago!!!  The bad news is that she's using it to get out of bed and we are now in the "I have to go potty again" game at bedtime (sometimes naptime).  it's driving me nuts.  I make sure she goes RIGHT before we turn out the lights at bedtime and naptime but 10-15 mins after leaving her room she's crying to use the potty.  Sometimes twice in a very short time.  8 times out of 10 she doesn't have to go at all.  Maybe 1 time she can squeeze a couple drops out and then 1 time she actually does go again.  I don't want to just ignore her in case it's the 1 time she really does have to go BUT I'm also totally sick of this game since she usually really doesn't have to go at all.  I start by ignoring her to see if she'll let it go but she doesn't.  Regardless of the outcome she screams just the same until I go in.

My son never did this so I'm not sure what to do here.  Suggestions on getting out of this cycle?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gina1109
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:57 PM
My ds hasn't done this and he is going 6 months pull up free.... sorry mama
Bump for you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM

bump

mamamedic69
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I wish i could help but my dd is still in pull ups at night. My dd won't leave her room until I come in so I'm not sure.
Good luck tho!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HarrisonMD
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You could try, if you trust her...to put a potty chair in the room with her at night...we are almost to this stage and I'm trying to prepare myself for the transition...Unfortunately my DD knows how to strip off her pullup and i'm afraid that if I ignore her for too long...I'm walking into a horrible mess which I have already several times! Ugh...so I totally understand...they are pushing the buttons to see what they can get away with and when they learn how to potty, its not just a new skill, it's a way to stall bedtime! lol Good Luck!

Kelsie.Davison
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM

my daughter does this too and she is 5.. she uses it to get out of trouble too.. but she has bladder issues to i have always been lenient about it. I know it is frustrating, i give her a time limit, say 1 min then its back to bed or time out. so she has learned to hurry up ad get back.. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

golden tickets, she gets 1, after she uses that one "get out of bed free pass" she's done, has to stay in her bed?! I did this with my oldest at about 3

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

thank you guys!  i was beginning to think my dd was the only one out there that used this as leverage :)  last night she did it again and i was livid (didn't get mad at her though).  she was screaming like she was on fire and then when i took her to the potty, NOTHING!  i'll try the ticket idea.  i'm not sure if she'll really understand it but it's worth a shot. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

ah, you know as well as I do, that they understand more than we give them credit for.  I don't remember how old your kids are, but I bet I could do it with my 22 month old and she'd get it, I know my 3.5 year old does, she plays games with staying in bed at 2am, so she's going the ticket route right now...she gets 2 minutes to have someone rock her or sing to her and then she's on her own.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

ha!  you are right (my dd is 3 1/2).  i feel like her comprehension is still not quite there in some things but, again, i'll totally give it a shot tonight and see what happens :)

Quoting emkirkley:

ah, you know as well as I do, that they understand more than we give them credit for.  I don't remember how old your kids are, but I bet I could do it with my 22 month old and she'd get it, I know my 3.5 year old does, she plays games with staying in bed at 2am, so she's going the ticket route right now...she gets 2 minutes to have someone rock her or sing to her and then she's on her own.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Just keep trying, some kids it takes about a week for them to catch on totally that the tickets being gone means something, I started with 2 tickets with my oldest for a week, and then went to 1 ticket, we did this until she was almost 5 and in Kindergarten (we moved and she started with the I'm scared, or I need you longer stuff when she was 4.5)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

ha!  you are right (my dd is 3 1/2).  i feel like her comprehension is still not quite there in some things but, again, i'll totally give it a shot tonight and see what happens :)

Quoting emkirkley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN