Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Healthy foods

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 27 Replies
I can not seem to keep my 2 yr olds belly full. She doesnt eat junk food and even if I try to offer like a toddler cookie or something she refuses it and wants something healthy. Not that Im complaining! But im running out of ideas on what to feed her.

Like yesterday for dinner she had 2 chicken legs (I pulled all chicken off the bone) a string cheese, 1/2 cup of green beans, 1/2 cup spiral pasta noodles, a yogurt (well a gogurt) 3/4 cup or so of grapes and goldfish and then downed 8 oz of milk!

I didnt think toddlers ate that much food and I know they eat more during growth spurts but this is an all the time thing. She eats like that at lunch too just minus the milk. Shes no where near being overweight (almost 50%tile for weight and 75%tile for height).

I feel like she is always eating the same things over and over though. Im running out of ideas what to feed her to try and keep her full alittle longer. Any ideas???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Just feed her what you eat.

Mdmooch
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My toddler loves broccoli, so I give him that raw.  He doesn't eat junk food either, he just eats what we eat.  He likes grilled cheese for lunch and he is always eating bananas and clementines.  Fruits and veggies digest at a quicker rate than meats so you generally eat more often if you don't eat a ton of meat.  I am a vegetarian and my boys rarely eat meat, so we eat three meals plus a couple of snacks.  Snacks are raw veggies and fruit and crackers.  Also yogurt and cottage cheese are favorites here.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

whole grains, things high in fiber and some fat are good for them and keep them fuller longer.  Nuts, avacados, olives, whole grain crackers, brown rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, cheese, full fat yogurt (yobaby and some others), and higher protein items as well like greek yogurt and smoothies instead of just fruit.

While fruit and veggies are highly valuable, they have very little to offer in the way of calories (why most are free of points on weight watchers), so if that's what she's eating/snacking on, then she's not getting enough of the other for her body to actually have to take time digest it.

eggs or sausage with whole wheat peanut butter toast are what my kids typically eat for breakfast, either that or something like ham or sausage and cereal, they have peanut butter and apples or peaches and crackers for a snack many days, etc...if you pair the fruits with higher fiber items or items with protien and fat then she'll stay fuller longer and get more calories so she's not as hungry.

If she's happy and so are you, I don't see much point in changing things though.

Mdmooch
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I forgot about eggs.  My guy loves scrambled eggs with cheese in the morning.  We do that often.  Also pancakes and waffles seem to fill him up pretty good.  I like what the PP said about peanut butter.  I will have to try that with my guy.  I bet he would like that.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
My 22 month old DS is the same way always hungry. He eats small but frequent meals. He loves fresh fruits and veggies. For meals he eats what we eat but snacks varry. He'll eat broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes with ranch dip, a kiwi and banana or strawberries. Also apples with peanut butter, a bowl of cinnamon oatmeal, PBJ sandwhiches, or yogurt. I make quesadillas that he loves too. I usually do bean and cheese but you can do chicken and cheese too. He will also eat meat & cheese crackers or just a piece of cheese rolled up in a piece of ham, turkey, or chicken deli meat. It is more convenient for me being 24 weeks pregnant because I eat as often as he does usually but my DH complains the kid's always hungry and he doesn't always know what to feed him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rosekit
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

My daughter hated, and still does, sweet foods, which I love. My two younger kids who are eating solids will eat cookies and such, but I just don't keep that in the house. I do make sure the I always have fruits, veggies, yogurt, cheese, whole wheat tortillas (tortilla wraps are a huge hit here!). We also have healthy dips like humus and guacamole and pita chips available. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The sugar in the gogurt, plus the carbs in the pasta and goldfish are probably the cause for what's making her hungry since those are simple carbs and they don't keep you fuller, longer and they aren't considered healthy. That's also a lot of dairy consumed in one sitting. Instead of so much dairy and simple carbs, try complex carbs such as a sweet potato(paired with the green beans) then add in some good for you fat such as avocado and fruit for a snack.

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Wow! What a great problem to have! My DD is the opposite. Ugh. So hard to get her to eat!!

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I agree! :)

Quoting PEEK05:

Just feed her what you eat.

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Oh, I didn't think about that. Great advice!! :)

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

The sugar in the gogurt, plus the carbs in the pasta and goldfish are probably the cause for what's making her hungry since those are simple carbs and they don't keep you fuller, longer and they aren't considered healthy. That's also a lot of dairy consumed in one sitting. Instead of so much dairy and simple carbs, try complex carbs such as a sweet potato(paired with the green beans) then add in some good for you fat such as avocado and fruit for a snack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN