Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can not seem to keep my 2 yr olds belly full. She doesnt eat junk food and even if I try to offer like a toddler cookie or something she refuses it and wants something healthy. Not that Im complaining! But im running out of ideas on what to feed her.

Like yesterday for dinner she had 2 chicken legs (I pulled all chicken off the bone) a string cheese, 1/2 cup of green beans, 1/2 cup spiral pasta noodles, a yogurt (well a gogurt) 3/4 cup or so of grapes and goldfish and then downed 8 oz of milk!

I didnt think toddlers ate that much food and I know they eat more during growth spurts but this is an all the time thing. She eats like that at lunch too just minus the milk. Shes no where near being overweight (almost 50%tile for weight and 75%tile for height).

I feel like she is always eating the same things over and over though. Im running out of ideas what to feed her to try and keep her full alittle longer. Any ideas???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Replies (21-27):
rosekit
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Google tortilla pinwheels, or tortilla wraps, it'll give you a lot of ideas. 

Quoting KAmomma1113:

Yeah I'd have to make sure its not too 'thick' cuz sometimes she has issues with just eating the tortilla shell itself, but she might like the 'mexican' type once since she likes tacos even though she usually deconstructs it. Wish our walmart had stuff like yours! Ours is so plain and has nothing. I hate it and its not worth me driving 20 mins to the next nearest one :(

Quoting rosekit:

It can be like a pizza, but like I said, you can put anything in it. I got some of my ideas from the Wal-mart deli, what they have ready made, but really, you can put just about anything in it, as long as it's sliced thin. My husband loves a mexican like one, with refried beans, taco seasoning, black olives, chedder cheese, and sour cream. 

Quoting KAmomma1113:

Oh like a pizza! She might like that :) I feel so dumb now not thinking of the obvious, but then again pregnancy has made me lose my mind lately. I might try doing something with spinach, I dont like it, but then again she eats peas and I cant stand them. I just hate buying food that she doesnt like and we wont eat either :-/ Thanks for the added ideas :)

Quoting rosekit:

All kinds. My favorite is pepperoni, salami, provolone, and pizza sauce for the kids, red pepper spread for me. I also toss in lettuce or spinach sometimes. Hummus also makes a great base, along with some grilled chicken and tomato. You can put just about anything in there, and it'll taste pretty great. It's also really easy to make. 

Quoting KAmomma1113:

What kind of tortilla wraps do u make?

Quoting rosekit:

My daughter hated, and still does, sweet foods, which I love. My two younger kids who are eating solids will eat cookies and such, but I just don't keep that in the house. I do make sure the I always have fruits, veggies, yogurt, cheese, whole wheat tortillas (tortilla wraps are a huge hit here!). We also have healthy dips like humus and guacamole and pita chips available. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

If you say so but eating cheese, 8 0z of milk AND a gogurt is way too much diary for one meal, especially when you add pasta and goldfish on top of it. And calcium can be found in many, many fruits and vegetables so no, dairy is NOT a need. You asked for advice, I gave it.  Take it or leave it.

Quoting KAmomma1113:

So you never eat pasta?? Even whole wheat pasta or anything of that nature?? That was the only amount of dairy she had all day so theres nothing wrong with how much she consumed especially since shes still a toddler and needs the calcium. Its not like she ate that stuff at every meal. I try to make sure she gets all her daily nutritional requirements and that met her dairy. She doesnt like avacado. I never did either till a few years ago so i wont make her eat something I wouldnt either, just like the sweet potato. She liked them as an infant in baby food but wont touch a real one. So thats out too. She would also eat fruit and some veggies all day long if I'd let her.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

The sugar in the gogurt, plus the carbs in the pasta and goldfish are probably the cause for what's making her hungry since those are simple carbs and they don't keep you fuller, longer and they aren't considered healthy. That's also a lot of dairy consumed in one sitting. Instead of so much dairy and simple carbs, try complex carbs such as a sweet potato(paired with the green beans) then add in some good for you fat such as avocado and fruit for a snack.

kerrylee39
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Mines the same way!!!! I found oatmeal mixed with different things, usually fruit help.. I try to stick with higher protein foods, but its hard sometimes...
KAmomma1113
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg isnt it though! I sometimes will do oatmeal mixed with a fruit or add cinnamon to it to make it yummier but we just had that at breakfast so it is difficult at times when all she wants to do is eat. And like today, didnt nearly eat as much as yesterday. She just liles throwing me off at times I guess :)

Quoting kerrylee39:

Mines the same way!!!! I found oatmeal mixed with different things, usually fruit help.. I try to stick with higher protein foods, but its hard sometimes...

Mdmooch
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM
We actually do a lot of rice and beans. We make black bean burgers which my toddler loves with ketchup. I will eat fish once in a while. We have pasta, pierogies. My son and husband eat meat but we don't fix it every week. We have salad at least once a day. For breakfast we have pancakes,waffles, oatmeal, or cereal with fruit. I am not vegan so I incorporate eggs for breakfast also. For lunches my son will have grilled cheese or homemade jam, with fruits and veggies. My husband has high cholesterol which is hereditary for him so the dietician said to eat less meat. We eat a meditteranean diet which has less meat and more fruits and veggies, grains, legumes, etc. We also eat nus, etc. It is actually very easy to get everything you need if you do some research. It took a while but we have very balanced meals. I also make a lot of veggie soups with lentils. My husband was a big meat eater before and he feels full from the dinners we have. Hope some of this helped!

Quoting KAmomma1113:

Shes not a huge broccoli eater, well neither am I but I havent tried raw yet. Its worth a try. Ive tried peppers and cucumbers and carrots and either its a texture thing or she doesnt like the 'crunch' factor. Idk for sure but I enjoy em. If u dont mind me asking, what do u eat/feed ur kids being vegetarian? Im open to some alternatives for us.

Quoting Mdmooch:

My toddler loves broccoli, so I give him that raw.  He doesn't eat junk food either, he just eats what we eat.  He likes grilled cheese for lunch and he is always eating bananas and clementines.  Fruits and veggies digest at a quicker rate than meats so you generally eat more often if you don't eat a ton of meat.  I am a vegetarian and my boys rarely eat meat, so we eat three meals plus a couple of snacks.  Snacks are raw veggies and fruit and crackers.  Also yogurt and cottage cheese are favorites here.

deya211
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My daughter used to do that. One day I mad oatmeal,beacon,eggs,toast,waffles and oj.SHE ATE IT ALL!!! I couldnt belive my eyes. I thought she had worms or something lol. This was when she was 1 1/2. Now she's three and she pretty much already has her mind made up of what she wants to eat. Sometimes a good fantasy story about why the brussel sprouts saved the day can work. If your child seems to still not accept new foods, just try the new Pediasures they have now. It balances out your childs daily nutrients of whatever they didnt eat that day. It really helps and they are delicious. And they look like this.Enjoy!!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My children eat what I eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)