Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is not eating like normal. Is this normal or should I be worried or concerned? Advice please!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my son is 21 months old right now. And here about 2 or so weeks ago his eating habits changed, well he started feeding himself finally but he still dose not know how to feeding himself with a spoon or fork ect... Well he went from eating a variety of foods some with my help since he dose not understand how to use a spoon or fork from only eating things like cerial and toast and those gummy snack things that you buy for kids... he literally will not eat anything else most of the time, I do mean 95% of the time he things like I just listed last... I am worried because I am almost sure that this unhealthy and also this is not like him. If I try to get him to eat anything else at all he starts throwing a fit and refuses it.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

What can I do to get him to eat more things other than cerical and toast and snack foods?

Do I need to just call his doctor or wait it out and keep trying?(BTW, Dh keeps saying that I just need to give DS less drinks but I am giving him less drinks than I was, I even cut back a lil on the amount of water I give him. I only give him milk when he sleeps, maybe one cup of juice in the mid morning time and either juice or cool aid in the mid afternoon once or twice after lunch.)

I am doing something wrong or what is going on here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ladies... I am just worried at this point... Thank you all for taking the time to read this and help...

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
My dd went through a stage of eating only a few things. Every few weeks those things changed. Her dr said give her what she will eat (not junk food). I thought that she was going to turn into pasta because that's all she ate for a month. :) My dd was given water or watered down juice as she is lactose intolerant and has issues with red dye! I wouldn't worry too much but keep offering different foods. It took my dd 6-7 times of something on her plate before she would try it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Bump for advice please before I go crazy... this is really starting to worry me at this point...

momof2891
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Gerber makes healthy finger foods for his age. They have carrots,apples and Vienna sausage looking things that are healthy. Also try the wheel snacks and puffs. They are healthy and it will get him used to eating other things besides cereal and toast. My ds went through the same phase. Now he eats anything and everything we give him!! Good luck and this too will pass. Just have patience momma.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

cut out the empty calories in the juice and kool aid, no more than 16oz of milk per day, otherwise water, keep offering.

the plate should contain one healthy thing you know he'll eat, one thing he might eat, something he rarely eats.

You can try food chaining and dips as well to entice him to eat.  My 22 month old has been really picky since about 10 months, we're just getting to where we like to eat a decent variety of things other than junk (I called her my junk food junkie for the longest because she only liked snack food stuff).  It may also be a texture thing if he's eating with his fingers...B likes to eat with her fingers and toddler sized forks, she's been doing this since about 15 months old, BUT she has older sisters. My oldest, A, we had to force to use utensils about 3 years old.

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting mamamedic69:

My dd went through a stage of eating only a few things. Every few weeks those things changed. Her dr said give her what she will eat (not junk food). I thought that she was going to turn into pasta because that's all she ate for a month. :) My dd was given water or watered down juice as she is lactose intolerant and has issues with red dye! I wouldn't worry too much but keep offering different foods. It took my dd 6-7 times of something on her plate before she would try it.

OIC. ok... Well what has got me is that he won't even any foods that he used to eat a couple weeks ago... And forgive me but I'm setting here right now wandering how healthy is just cerial and toast and those gummy friuty flavored snacks anyway... ??? I am sorry but it dosen't sound to healthy to me, at least not those lil fruity snack thigns anyway... But for real how healthy are the things I listed anyway? I am just wandering that at this point...

Do you think that giving him more iron or iron vitamins would help at all? jw...

Thank you very much...

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Quoting emkirkley:

cut out the empty calories in the juice and kool aid, no more than 16oz of milk per day, otherwise water, keep offering.

the plate should contain one healthy thing you know he'll eat, one thing he might eat, something he rarely eats.

You can try food chaining and dips as well to entice him to eat.  My 22 month old has been really picky since about 10 months, we're just getting to where we like to eat a decent variety of things other than junk (I called her my junk food junkie for the longest because she only liked snack food stuff).  It may also be a texture thing if he's eating with his fingers...B likes to eat with her fingers and toddler sized forks, she's been doing this since about 15 months old, BUT she has older sisters. My oldest, A, we had to force to use utensils about 3 years old.

Thank you for the advice. I will try the things you listed, however I was told to keep giving him fruit juice for now(apple juice) because ds has been constipated lately... But other than that I will try what you and everyone else has listed here...

Thank you all...

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would stop the juice all together.  Definitely the kool-aid (i use the lemon to clean  my dishwasher!).  It's essentially just dumping a cup of sugar into his mouth and not good for him at all.  Things like that should be a treat, not a daily occurance.  Juice in the morning is fine but water/milk is better.  Keep a water cup accessible to him all day long.

All kids go thru stages of eating and not eating (well, maybe not all but most).  Tastes change and sometimes kids use food as a control issue.  What goes into their bodies and what comes out are 2 things they have complete control over. 

Assuming your child is otherwise healthy and growing at a nice rate, don't play food games.  Fix him what you fix him (healthy) and then ignore it.  He either eats or he doesn't.  Children will not starve themselves but they will push you until you cave and give them what they really want.  Don't play those game.  Offer it and then leave it up to him.  Make the portions small so they aren't intimidating and if he chooses to NOT eat, keep it around in case he's hungry later.  If he claims he's starving, offer to heat it back up or whatever.  If he's truly starving he'll take what he can get.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

water water water works for constipation as well. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sun_Shine_990:

Quoting mamamedic69:

OIC. ok... Well what has got me is that he won't even any foods that he used to eat a couple weeks ago... And forgive me but I'm setting here right now wandering how healthy is just cerial and toast and those gummy friuty flavored snacks anyway... ??? I am sorry but it dosen't sound to healthy to me, at least not those lil fruity snack thigns anyway... But for real how healthy are the things I listed anyway? I am just wandering that at this point...

Do you think that giving him more iron or iron vitamins would help at all? jw...

Thank you very much...

try food chaining.  If he'll eat toast, try toast with peanut butter, if he'll go for that a peanut butter sandwich, if not that try peanut butter toast with banana or apple slices on it, if he'll do something like that try just the fruit, the fruit with other foods, etc.  Find a cereal he likes, then move to something similar but slightly healthier, and continue moving forward with slightly different but healthier things.

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Well thank you... I am willing to cut out stuff like cool aid but like I've already I was told by his doctor to keep giving him juice(apple juice) at least twice a day for his constipation, because no mater what or how much I give him to eat he stayed constipated for over a week...

You know I have heard people say that childern won't starve themselves but at times I feel uneasy about letting him go without if he won't eat what I know he can and will eat that is healthy or some what healthy anyway...

I mean I'm not saying that I'm not up to the challenge of idk, put up with him when he throws a fit because he doesn't get his way but I am just worried that making him go without because he won't he what is healthy is well harmful to him... But I guess I will keep going keep trying to get him to eat different things and be healthy about it too...

Thankyou...

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Personally, I would stop the juice all together.  Definitely the kool-aid (i use the lemon to clean  my dishwasher!).  It's essentially just dumping a cup of sugar into his mouth and not good for him at all.  Things like that should be a treat, not a daily occurance.  Juice in the morning is fine but water/milk is better.  Keep a water cup accessible to him all day long.

All kids go thru stages of eating and not eating (well, maybe not all but most).  Tastes change and sometimes kids use food as a control issue.  What goes into their bodies and what comes out are 2 things they have complete control over. 

Assuming your child is otherwise healthy and growing at a nice rate, don't play food games.  Fix him what you fix him (healthy) and then ignore it.  He either eats or he doesn't.  Children will not starve themselves but they will push you until you cave and give them what they really want.  Don't play those game.  Offer it and then leave it up to him.  Make the portions small so they aren't intimidating and if he chooses to NOT eat, keep it around in case he's hungry later.  If he claims he's starving, offer to heat it back up or whatever.  If he's truly starving he'll take what he can get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)