Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My Son in Diapers?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son, Jacky was born in 2009 and the potty training day came around. I tried to do the basic potty training things with him but he would not sit still and threw a tantrum everytime I sat him on the potty. So finally i decided to postpone potty training. Then came last month when my mom suggessted I should try again. We watched an elmo potty video together and then I took him into my bathroom to use the potty. When I sat him down he had an extremely sad expression on his face. When I asked him what was wrong he said that he did not want to get out of diapers. My heart being broken I put his pull- up back on and told him he didn't have to. Did I do the right thing?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I think you did my daughter was born september 2010 and she is still is in diapers. I am going to try in July though :)

CafeMom Tickers

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

He's still young so I don't think you need to force the issue at this point.  I don't know exactly how old he is but you can casually continue to talk about it.  You can even let him walk around naked if he doesn't object. 

robbinsroost
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I waited until my kids told me they were ready. They all asked to wear underwear by 3 1/2. With them being in control we had very few accidents. My 2nd and 3rd did go through a couple periods of regession, but I think they were due to growth spurts.

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM
First, what month in 2009?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy1022526
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Jacky was born on September 8th 2009

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.  We did give Caden some control, but we did offer some incentives.  We started "potty training" months before his birthday, but we told him he had to be dry for 2 weeks prior.  We had a calendar with stickers, so he was able to understand what was going on.

That and him attending a preschool where it was required for him to be potty trained.  We didn't think the director would allow him in, but she said he was so close that he might as well start.  He was potty trained within 3 weeks :).  I think seeing other kids doing it made him more confident :)

Quoting robbinsroost:

I waited until my kids told me they were ready. They all asked to wear underwear by 3 1/2. With them being in control we had very few accidents. My 2nd and 3rd did go through a couple periods of regession, but I think they were due to growth spurts.

FeliciaDurham
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

You shouldint encorage him to stay in the diaper. You should keep trying. Explain to him that he is a big boy and now its time to use the potty like a big boy.  when he dose go in the potty give him praise, maybe try a sticker chart, or some sort of reward. Try letting him watch the movie sevral times.That being said kids will decide when there ready, you just have to keep at it. Good Luck  

way to go                                    good luck

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My DD was end of July 2009 and she trained last may.  My son trained at 3 1/2.  Give him a few more months.  Does he need to be trained for preschool?  That was what led us to train both kids. 

Quoting Mommy1022526:

Jacky was born on September 8th 2009

Cheyennesmommy4
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My Son Mason is still in diapers( he's potty training too but going REALLY slow with it) I was hoping to have him out of diapers by the time I had our new baby, but that didn't happen. But I don't mind having two in diapers. It's a bit of a challenge though, especially since my 2 year old doesn't want to have his diaper changed at the same time as his baby brother.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Good luck on potty training. It can be difficult

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)