Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Bath time

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 4 year old daughter has decided as of lately to throw fits and hide in the corner of the bath tub when I try to wash her hair. She used to do really good and not mind it so I don't know what changed her mind. Anyway has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm assuming it's a phase, she still loves the actual bath though. Bath time is difficult for me right now because I'm hugely pregnant and getting down low is a pain lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
2curly
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Maybe she is protesting because you are pregnant.  Did she ever say why she doesn't want her hair washed?  Is it the soap or the rinsing part?  My 3 1/2 yr old son just started saying at he wants to rinse his own hair out.  He either lays back in the tub and/or pours the water over his head, face and all.  I don't know why this is better, but for him he likes it.  I just help him wipe off his face when he is done since his eyes are closed :)

MrsThebus
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
She just tells me she doesn't like it anymore lol. We always did a washcloth over eyes with head tipped back and now she won't even do that. It's always me that does bath time and it's always been routine. One other thing she started protesting about too is getting her nails cut! It's like pulling teeth to cut her nails now too.

Quoting 2curly:

Maybe she is protesting because you are pregnant.  Did she ever say why she doesn't want her hair washed?  Is it the soap or the rinsing part?  My 3 1/2 yr old son just started saying at he wants to rinse his own hair out.  He either lays back in the tub and/or pours the water over his head, face and all.  I don't know why this is better, but for him he likes it.  I just help him wipe off his face when he is done since his eyes are closed :)

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

My DD went thru a bath strike but she was 2ish.  For her it started with crumbs in the bath and she went postal.  After that she was TERRIFIED of the bath even though there was nothing in it.  The worst part about it was that it was during the summer and we were at the local lake beach almost every day so we were not only having to wash her but a ton of sand was coming out in the bath.  We just pushed thru it and she got over it.  I want to say it was a couple weeks.  She's 3 1/2 and fine now.

MrsThebus
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM
There's been nothing to scare her though, she always tells me if something scares her. I'm figuring its a phase or has something to do with me being pregnant somehow... She's been super attached to me and doesn't even want to stay at her Nana's since I've been pregnant but I don't know how that would play into the bath thing.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My DD went thru a bath strike but she was 2ish.  For her it started with crumbs in the bath and she went postal.  After that she was TERRIFIED of the bath even though there was nothing in it.  The worst part about it was that it was during the summer and we were at the local lake beach almost every day so we were not only having to wash her but a ton of sand was coming out in the bath.  We just pushed thru it and she got over it.  I want to say it was a couple weeks.  She's 3 1/2 and fine now.

2curly
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yeah I think she is protesting the pregnancy.  Sorry.  Maybe you can trying using a little reward (stickers, etc) for the nail clipping and maybe even the hair too.    She knows that change is coming, but maybe she is not sure how it is going to affect her.  Just keep reassuring her, this phase too will pass.  Kids, they definitely keep us on our toes :)

Quoting MrsThebus:

She just tells me she doesn't like it anymore lol. We always did a washcloth over eyes with head tipped back and now she won't even do that. It's always me that does bath time and it's always been routine. One other thing she started protesting about too is getting her nails cut! It's like pulling teeth to cut her nails now too.

Quoting 2curly:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:45 AM
What about swim goggles? Mine had thier own hook next to the shower.

No matter her reasoning, getting to wear swim gear in the tub may get then job done.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

No, I understand that, I was just saying what we went thru.  I was more just saying that we pushed thru it and eventually my dd got over it.  I mean, she had to be cleaned so there really wasn't another option.  We just did it as quickly as we could and got her right out.

It sounds like with the hair and nails it's a control issue resulting from the impending birth of your next baby.  She has no control there but she has found some in other areas.   You may see some regression shortly after the baby comes too.  Be it with potty accidents, baby talk, etc. 

I would try to give her as much control over things as you can right now.  Maybe put her in charge of washing her hair her own way and then praise her for doing such a great job on her own?

Quoting MrsThebus:

There's been nothing to scare her though, she always tells me if something scares her. I'm figuring its a phase or has something to do with me being pregnant somehow... She's been super attached to me and doesn't even want to stay at her Nana's since I've been pregnant but I don't know how that would play into the bath thing.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Been there, my DD hated to have her hair washed, we had to do showers.

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My son started protesting occationally about washing his hair and I finally got down to the reason why.  Since it has been winter he gets cold playing in the bath after I wash his hair.  So, I just do it very last thing and he has no problem.  That may not be your daughters reason but doing it last and quickly might make bathtime easier for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)