Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Going to rip my hair out!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

So my kids are two years apart.  Dd just turned 5 last week and ds will be 3 in March.  Up until recently they have got along so well!  But I swear the past two weeks have been AWFUL!  Screaming, crying, fighting, whining, ALL DAY LONG.  I am at my witts end.

I seperated their rooms so they would have their own space, dd goes to school twice a week so they are seperated then, they are excited to see eachother when dd get's home, but right after that it's fighting.  Dd has been incredibly emotional and sensitive, and ds is .. well he's 2 and a half, so he's acting appropriately for his age.  Anybody else have kids this age gap apart and have experienced this?  Please tell me it's just a phase and will leave soon! 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Yep, mine are 6 and 3 1/2 (just shy of 2 years 8 months apart).  They are SUPER protective of each other but are at it alot over stupid crap.  The worst is that my 3 1/2 year old has learned to provoke her older brother.  They'll be totally off on their own, minding their own business and my daughter will find a toy of my son's and say "Tyler, I've got your _____" in a totally snotty "come and get it" voice and then when he comes after her she screams and cries for help!  She's SUCH a booger.  She's learned all this from him, he's totally not innocent. 

It's better than it was.  Especially as her language and comprehension matures she has more outlets to voice her frustration.  Rarely do they do anything that requires punishment anymore.  Mostly it's just obnoxious bickering which I find totally normal for siblings.  Certainly there are probably households where the siblings get along famously but I think that's the exception. 

I think it's a phase until they are adults :)  My sister and I went at it until college (she's 2 years older than me).  We are BFF's now!!!

MegG25
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Oh no until they're adults?!  ha ha.  No I feel much better phew.  I thought I was doing something wrong since it seems so all of a sudden.  I think for us too, it's been 19-20 degrees out and with my sons asthma we can't go outside and play.  I'm sure they are cooped up, I am, I need some Vitamin D lol.  

But thank you so much, I feel better knowing it's a normal sibling phase for this age.  Oh and btw my dd is such a sweetheart, but at 3 HOLY COW!  She was .. she was wow lol.  It's almost like they turn 3 and then bam they have attitude, they're manipulative so to speak, and just well.. so frustrating lol.  But, at least when dd turned 4 it was such a great year, so hopefully your dd will do the same :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Yep, mine are 6 and 3 1/2 (just shy of 2 years 8 months apart).  They are SUPER protective of each other but are at it alot over stupid crap.  The worst is that my 3 1/2 year old has learned to provoke her older brother.  They'll be totally off on their own, minding their own business and my daughter will find a toy of my son's and say "Tyler, I've got your _____" in a totally snotty "come and get it" voice and then when he comes after her she screams and cries for help!  She's SUCH a booger.  She's learned all this from him, he's totally not innocent. 

It's better than it was.  Especially as her language and comprehension matures she has more outlets to voice her frustration.  Rarely do they do anything that requires punishment anymore.  Mostly it's just obnoxious bickering which I find totally normal for siblings.  Certainly there are probably households where the siblings get along famously but I think that's the exception. 

I think it's a phase until they are adults :)  My sister and I went at it until college (she's 2 years older than me).  We are BFF's now!!!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I'm not holding out hope!  She's always been a booger :)  I just continue to remind myself that the characteristics that drive me NUTS now will serve her well as an adult (assuming we harness her powers for good and not evil ;))

My son is in K 5 mornings a week and my DD is in preschool 3 mornings a week so that break definitely helps them a lot.  I would guess that once your kids are both in school more and getting their energy out there, things will calm down more for you at home.  At the very least you'll get a break from it while they are in school!!!

Quoting MegG25:

Oh no until they're adults?!  ha ha.  No I feel much better phew.  I thought I was doing something wrong since it seems so all of a sudden.  I think for us too, it's been 19-20 degrees out and with my sons asthma we can't go outside and play.  I'm sure they are cooped up, I am, I need some Vitamin D lol.  

But thank you so much, I feel better knowing it's a normal sibling phase for this age.  Oh and btw my dd is such a sweetheart, but at 3 HOLY COW!  She was .. she was wow lol.  It's almost like they turn 3 and then bam they have attitude, they're manipulative so to speak, and just well.. so frustrating lol.  But, at least when dd turned 4 it was such a great year, so hopefully your dd will do the same :)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

cowgirls10181
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Its normal. I suggest together no fighting time, then a reward system of a sticker on a chart, at the end of a time period they receive a rewaed say icecream snack or something they love but is not always given.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My first two are 2 years apart and get along great.  My second and third will be under two years apart, but she is not here yet for another 11 days so only time will tell.  Here is a bump and good luck.

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Sounds like my 2. Ds is 10 and dd will be 5 on the 27th. Dd knows just which buttons to push to try and get ds in trouble. I try to let them settle it on their own. They do most of the time.

I will have them stay separate for 2 days. They cannot even talk to each other. It works for 2-3 wks.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Me and my sister fought ALL the time until She moved in with my dads as a teenager. I got along fine with my brothers but my brothers fought too. I agree that it is normal. Lol

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

LML1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I would think it's just a phase. Good luck momma and hang in there.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
It's winter - typically kids get out less and are less active. All that energy has to go somewhere!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN