Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Night Time Potty Training for a 2.5yo?!? Help!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

I need some advice. My son is exactly 2 and a half. He's wearing underpants and accident free during the day and a diaper at night. He sits on the potty, he's too small to stand in front of it. At night he's been getting up to tell me that he's wet, so I know that's my cue to start nighttime potty training, but he's still so little. Do I just roll with it anyways? How long did it take y'all to get through the wet-the-bed phase? At this point, I don't want to expect too much from him, but he's caught on so well with potty training, I don't want to discourage him by telling him he has to wear a diaper.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
.stella.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Try it without a diaper. If hes consistently wetting the bed, try pull ups at night. Worked for us :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM

We used pull-ups until they are consistently dry at night.

Night time training is totally different from day training. Most kids sleep to heavy to feel the urge to pee--which is why it typically takes longer to night traing a kid.  When they stop sleeping so heavy, that's when nitght training becomes possible.

My older son was day trained by 2.5.  Night training didn't happen until he was 4. 

If he cannot reach the potty by himself, what about putting a little potty in there for him to use?  Or a stool for him to climb up on? 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no such thing as night training.  Staying dry at night is a matter of a hormone being released by the brain to slow urine production during sleep.  The brain can either do it or it can't.  That's great that he's starting to wake up to tell you so make sure he has full access to a potty at night.  However, I would continue the diaper for sleeping until he's consistently waking up dry either 1) because he's held it all night or 2) because he's made it to the potty in time in the middle of the night.   If he is still peeing in his diaper AND THEN waking up, he's not quite ready yet.  Because neither of you have control over this process, it will not deter his daytime progress by needing help at night.  The 2 things are unrelated.

PEEK05
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

My daughter night trained at the same time as day trained, sorry.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)