Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

HELP!! My 13 month old boy refuses to walk!!!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
Does anyone have any advice on how I can encourage him to start walking. Every once in awhile he'll take 5 steps then just sit down and start crawling. I was hoping to start potty training by 15 months just like I did my oldest son but I want him to be comfortable walking first. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Miarose88
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I don't have any real advice. For my son, a walker that he could push around got him wanting to walk more I think. But I just think they do it when they want to whether you like it or not. But I have known a few people who didn't start walking until they were almost 2 and they grew up completely normal and well adjusted. I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself
Duquesne
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
He's not your other son:). Try not comparing. My son walked at 15 months. He'll walk when he's ready.
roughneckswife1
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Yea lol. I try not to compare. But I've seen him walk its almost like he's being lazy. Lol.
Duquesne
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Because crawling is easier and faster. These kiddos are smart. :)

Quoting roughneckswife1:

Yea lol. I try not to compare. But I've seen him walk its almost like he's being lazy. Lol.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM
I agree. He will walk when Hes ready and not a minute before that :)

Quoting Duquesne:

He's not your other son:). Try not comparing. My son walked at 15 months. He'll walk when he's ready.
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

put him on the floor in the middle of the room.  Tell him he must walk to his snack / sippy if he wants it.   If he crawls 2 feet you put him back and try again.   Of course after a few minutes let him have it either way.   He may get really angry at first and that means stop for the now.  But after a few times he will get it and it will teach him really fast.   I bribed my 2 year old with a sucker to use the potty -- more out of desperation than anything.  But he loved it and in 2 weeks he potty trained.   Granted I went through a lot of suckers.   === and I know that has its downside but it was so worth it.  

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:35 AM

yep, as has already been said, he will walk when he's ready.  my son was 11 months, my daughter was 14.  with both of them there was about a month between the first steps and full independence.

aj2011
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM

My son started walking on his 1st birthday. Like everyone else is saying when he's ready he'll walk.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN