Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 11 Replies
My 16 month old daughter does not talk!! Well, the only words she says is "mamamama" when she is really upset! She is in "Babies can't wait" program. They are wanting us to try to teach her sign language. They are hoping she will start signing then start saying the words.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScarletRose4488
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I say teach the sign language.  Either way it is a fun thing to know.   Google free American sign language online.  there are a couple sites I love that are totally free.   I am spacing on them at the moment, but when you find them you will know because they are total courses free. 

Jen
~ I speak from the heart because the truth is always the best - even if you don't know it yet. ~
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:25 AM

we never used sign language but i know people who did.  no harm in trying.  with that said, i wouldn't worry until she's 2.  both of my kids took until about 18-19 months before their language really exploded. 

the other thing is that she may be saying more than you realize.  i've told this story a couple times:  when my son was about 18 months old my mom was babysitting.  when i came home they were in the backyard and she was telling me about all the airplanes he was pointing out and also saying "airplane".  I'm like "mom, you're crazy, he cannot say 'airplane'".  Sure enough a second later a plane flies overhead, he looks up, points and says "ah-mee".  Who knows how long he had been saying it and I totally missed it because it didn't sound like what I expected to hear.  Regardless, he absolutely was saying "airplane"!  Once I started paying attention I saw that he called his binkie his "me", his milk was "mah" and other things like that.  Easy to miss unless you are really paying attention :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Ask the people from Babies Can't Wait what to do. They should be giving you lots of ideas. But you might have to specifically ask them.

In the meantime, talk to her. All the time. Label everything. Give her an environment that is rich in language.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikkijessie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
My sons 20 months old and is barly learning new words at first he would only say mom. now he says out, please, come on, dada. It will happen when she's ready. My son wouldn't talk because he knew he could ride it out with his grandparents. But since I took his paci away he's been more talkative and in order for him to get what he wants he has to attempt to say the word and if he says it at least a lil bit right we clap and say yay! He likes that and is talking more now
Alhnmer09-11
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
She is having to have a swallow study done. She is still on a stage one bottle nipple. She tries to drink from a sippy cup but gets really irritated. She has had pneumonia 3 times now, not running much of a fever at all. They think she is aspirating back into her lungs. When she eats, she lets food sit in her mouth until it desolves. She only has 2 teeth also. They have also figured out she has what is called low muscle tone. She didn't start sitting up on her own until she was almost 7 months old, she didn't start eating baby food or table food until she was almost 8 months old. She has just started walking a little over a month ago and they are already talking about the possibility of having to put braces on her. She has several problems. The doctors seem to think her problems are caused by the anti-seizure medication I had to take while I was pregnant with her.
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I was going to say it sounds like she has low muscle tone, or hypotonia. Hopefully the therapists can also show you exercises to help strengthen her mouth. I think sign language is an excellent idea, since for her using her hands to communicate should be easier than using her mouth.

Quoting Alhnmer09-11:

She is having to have a swallow study done. She is still on a stage one bottle nipple. She tries to drink from a sippy cup but gets really irritated. She has had pneumonia 3 times now, not running much of a fever at all. They think she is aspirating back into her lungs. When she eats, she lets food sit in her mouth until it desolves. She only has 2 teeth also. They have also figured out she has what is called low muscle tone. She didn't start sitting up on her own until she was almost 7 months old, she didn't start eating baby food or table food until she was almost 8 months old. She has just started walking a little over a month ago and they are already talking about the possibility of having to put braces on her. She has several problems. The doctors seem to think her problems are caused by the anti-seizure medication I had to take while I was pregnant with her.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

DS is 19 months and he talks when he wants.  He knows a few signs as well.  We taught him "more", "please" and we are working on "thank you" 

He has started to say "please" and he will say "I want up" and he still just signs "more"

I can tell he understands a lot, but he doesn't have all the right words yet.

KeikiSmiles
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Agree with this in addition to reading lots of picture books & pointing out the people / objects / what's going on.

Another thought, she might need a reason to talk.  If she wants milk, prompt her to sign and/or say "milk" (or at least something like "mmmm") and then praise and give her the milk.  

Quoting mypbandj:

Ask the people from Babies Can't Wait what to do. They should be giving you lots of ideas. But you might have to specifically ask them.

In the meantime, talk to her. All the time. Label everything. Give her an environment that is rich in language.

Also just wondering, does she show signs of comprehension?  For example, if you asked her to clap her hands (without you clapping), does she do it?

boogan1112
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Personally I think the baby sign language is bull. I think it only slows down the natural learning process. Babies learn by imitation. As little as they might actually verbalize, they take in everything they hear, store it in their tiny noggins, and put it all together when they're ready. My ds is 15 months old and he just makes single syllable noises. And guess what? Its totally normal. By the time toddlers are 2, on average they can only verbalize 3-4 words and know what they mean. Don't stress it.  She'll talk when she's ready- not when the program tells her to.

Alhnmer09-11
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM
She does understand what we are saying. Like if I ask her to being me her paci, she will bring it to me. The doctors are leaning toward the diagnosis Osteogenesis imperfecta.
Www.oif.org. It is genetic and my younger sister and I both have it too. There are many issues that come along with this disorder, there is no cure for it. All we can do is keep her active and "physically" fit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)